We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Inn on MLK and distances to Must See sites??

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hampton Inn on MLK and distances to Must See sites??

We have booked a room at the Hampton Inn on MLK for early May. How is this area? I gather from this site that it is not really in the historic area, but on the borderline.

We are two ladies (60ish) and can do some walking, but how far away will we be from River Street for example or Forsyth Park??

If we go to River Street in the evening for drinks and dinner should we take a taxi?

Thanks for your help!!

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Inn on MLK and distances to Must See sites??

You are correct in that you are on the border of the HD but you are only about a block from the Visitors Center (further down MLK) where you can catch any number of trolleys including the free CAT Shuttle.

My guess is that you will be about 4 blocks from Barnard Street. Turn right to walk into Telfair Square or left into Orleans Square. Walk 2 more blocks for Bull Street and you will be on the main street in the HD.

The problem is you are staying on the far west edge and you will want to see things on the east side of the HD. You may want to invest in a tix on one of the hop on hop off buses. Check at the racks in the Visitors Center (not the hotel) for coupons.

Do you need a cab from River Street rest to the hotel on MLK? It depends on how tired you are and where you have dinner. There is a cab stand in front of the Hyatt.

My suggestion is to pick up a map on the free CAT Shuttle www.catchacat.org. NO stops on River Street but stops on Bay Street near the Mulberry Inn and at the Hyatt Regency. They will whisk you down Bay turning left on to MLK with a stop at the Vistors Center. I think they run until 9:45.

Pack you comfortable walking shoes.

enjoy.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Inn on MLK and distances to Must See sites??

Cabs or a pedicab would be a good idea, especially late. I'm not saying the city is dangerous, but it is a city. Cities all have some element of crime.

To me, the five-ten bucks is a much better option than walking. Cabs are CHEAP in Savannah, and so is a pedicab, whose driver works for tips alone (there's no fee). I tip these poor hardworking lads and lasses at LEAST 10 bucks for pedaling my ever-increasing butt (darn these good restaurants!) somewhere in the HD, and it is well worth it.

Disclaimer: I do not own/ am not employed by/ do not own stock in Savannah Pedicab, Yellow Cab, Island Taxi, Adam Cab, or their subsidiaries, holdings, properties or affiliate companies.

3. Re: Hampton Inn on MLK and distances to Must See sites??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 13:17