We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

I am overwhelmed!! I am coming to Savannah on March 31st until April 4th. A friend and I are staying at the Eliza Thompson House. I am definitely going to Mrs. Wilkes to eat. Other than that--I can't decide. If you were going for three days--what would you see? Would you go to Tybee Island--we just went to Sarasota a month ago--so not a must for me unless it is really great. My friend loves b-b-q--so if there is a great place for that. We love really good dessert--especially cheesecake. What's the best ghost tour. So many questions---just don't want to over look anything. Are there lots of shops in the historic district? Thanks!!!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

We love really good dessert--especially cheesecake. What's the best ghost tour. So many questions---just don't want to over look anything. Are there lots of shops in the historic district? Thanks!!!

If I was only coming for 3 days I would see the Cathedral, Bonaventure Cemetery, and Fort Pulaski. The Fort would also satisfy your curiosity about the beach - it is different on the Atlantic than the Gulf (the Gulf is much, much prettier), but the Fort is right there. There are two good bbq places in the Historic District - Angels bbq and Sweet Leaf Smokery and Eatery. I'm not into cheesecake so I can't advise.

For ghost tours, it's always hard to answer which is "the best" of anything - be it tours, restaurants, museums, etc. The reason there are many different types is because people have different tastes. What one person thinks is serious and scary, another finds boring and simple. What one person finds as cheesy and theatrical, another finds fun entertainment.

Some tour guides give a very serious tour, focusing on attempts to understand or contact the paranormal. Other guides are theatrical and dress in costumes. Some guides try to focus on the art of the stories, making the tour seem like a night around a campfire.

You will find all types of the above guides with all of the companies. It is luck of the draw on who is scheduled to guide the night you tour.

I always suggest when you arrive, pick up the brochures in your hotel from all the companies and compare them. The companies do a good job marketing through that material, and you will usually find yourself drawn to one versus the other.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

Joandio,

How dare you recommend tour companies with brochures over tour companies that DON'T have brochures!? Also, her/his/its post clearly shows a bias against vacationers who cannot read.

Sorry. Just having some fun.

Rondo60,

I love Angel's BBQ, but Wall's is more traditional. I just like the added flair of the Memphis-style @ Angel's. Personal preference. I believe that Wright Square Cafe has a lovely dessert section, but if you're looking for cheesecake as a dessert after dinner, perhaps the Pink House, and I believe Vic's on the River has a cheesecake if memory serves, but their dessert menu is not online.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

Thanks! My name is Rhonda and I have been reading and trying to find where to go. I have been busy and it's getting down to the last week before the trip and I wanted to ask one last time where to be sure to go when I get there. I am the one making the plans for a girls' trip--so I don't want to be sure of what I am doing when I get there.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

I forgot about Lu-Lu's Chocolate Bar on MLK Jr. BLVD.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

LuLu's Chocolate Bar on MLK has closed, sad for us chocoholics.

I can't really say who has the cheesecake Rhonda's craving, as so many restaurants buy their desserts premade ---frozen, thawed and served with a dollop of fruit glaze. Nah. I recommend going to Leopold's ice cream parlor on East Broughton St. for the best dessert. They make their own ice cream on the premises and feature flavors no one else has ever dreamed of. Leopold's signature flavor is Tutti-Frutti....oh my gosh, I feel a fit & cravin' coming on.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

You know I have found that true about the cheesecake. My friend and I love cheesecake in Sarasota and we asked the waitress to find out where it came from--she brought us the label from the box. It was Sysco tall plain new york cheesecake. We had a friend here in IL buy us each a box--so now it's not so special at this restaurant in Sarasota. My friend would probably love the homemade ice cream. I will add that to my list. Thanks!! I have a booklet on where to go when I get there that I have written down things in. We are going to busy!!!!! :>)

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

I forgot about Wall's!!! You know, they closed for a couple of months and well, out of sight, out of mind. But truth is, I would put them at the top of the bbq list!

Savannah
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

I can assure you that Lulu's Chocolate Bar on MLK Jr Blvd is not closed, lucky for all of us chocoholics! Definitely check them out for the best cheesecake and tons of other chocolate goodies!! Ooooh, and the best chocolate martinis!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

Rondo,

Relax. Let the massive oaks draped in Spanish moss take over. Savannah's squares and Forsyth Park will calm your nerves. That's Savannah.

I like Pulaski Square and facing east with a cup of coffee and the paper to unwind from the normal daily grind. This square lacks a monument and is situated on the west side of the district making it one of the quieter squares.

Eliza Thompson House has been a favorite of mine for many years. Jones St is one of the prettiest in Savannah. A great choice. Do not miss their afternoon wine & cheese in the magnificent parlor. Try for a room in the main house and not the addition. I really like the two rooms facing Jones St the best.

Ghost tours, tour buses, etc are just not my thing. Taking a blanket and stretching out on the huge grass lawn of Forsyth Park, walking Colonial Cemetary, sitting in the squares, walking and winding through the district and often times through the alley ways where a more "natural" look to these historic homes can be seen, shopping at the Paris Market on Broughton, is more my speed.

Have tea and relax at the Gryphon Tea Room or better yet the The Tea Room of Savannah on Broughton. No rush, just relax to some nice tea. Need to cool down then try a real fruit smoothie at Smooth (143 Bull St) and park yourself at the sqaure one block south.

If you don't make it to the Riverwalk all the better. 100% tourist stuff anyways.

Try Elizabeth's on 37th and Garibaldi's Cafe for dinner.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am researching what to do??? I have been reading and+++

Thank you so much!! I appreciate your post. :>)