We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The tour recommendations in town

Pooler
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
The tour recommendations in town

I just wanted to let those of you visiting Savannah know to take some of the posts about tours you read on here with a grain of salt. It seems there is quite a lot of self promotion going on in disguise. I notice one particular poster here that likes to talk ugly towards a couple of the more popular tours in town while pushing one particular company- although subtly she still pushes it- I think you can figure it out if you pay attention. I'm not sure what her association is with it but even the owner of that company is on here- it's easy to figure out her id=email. One of her posts claims she "took the tour with friends"- but she runs it.

I am not a ghost tour fan- but through my work I have associations with several of the bed and breakfast and hotels in town. I can say from the people I know there the one she promotes is not one of the top recommended ones in town. I don't know why- but most of the hotel workers- that are not employees of the trolley groups- want to recommend the best so they might get tips back for the recommendation. I had never heard of hers until I got on here and started seeing it posted several times- that's when I started checking the posts they seemed fishy to me.

I want to point out I have not taken any of the tours here so I do not have personal experience. I'm just sharing what I do know in hopes of helping those looking for good recommendations.

I travel a lot with work and I like to get the best advice I can about the places I'm going. I got a lot of good advise on here last summer. My travels are starting up again so I jumped back on- so I could plan my trips better this year.

I recommend waiting until you get here and ask around about the tours. I feel most people on here are legit. It's just these two or three ladies- with multiple ids- that seem to be in question.

I hope you won't think that everyone in Savannah is like them.

Enjoy Savannah and if you like pizza you might run into me at vinny's one night :-)

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The tour recommendations in town

What a lovely and nice post. Even though dc212 brings up something we all look out for here (self-promotion), their info is far from right.

I am a tour guide in Savannah. I know for a fact that most hotel and B&B workers don't recommend tour companies based upon hoping for a tip if the recommendation is good. Many of the tour companies have "deposit" programs in place at the hotels. The employee "recommends" a tour, collects a "deposit" then reserves that tour for the guests. The "deposit" collected is kept by the hotel employee as incentive from the tour company to book that tour. The tour company(s) that have the highest "deposit" requirements are the busiest in town, not because their tour is better, but because more hotel employees are pushing people to them in order to make more "deposit" cash.

Does that mean the small tour companies are better or worse? No.

We have addressed this issue time and again in this forum. No tour company is the best - but each tour company offers something slightly different and each guest may want something different, making one tour company a better pick for their tastes than another. Every guide in the city has to pass the same licensing test. The big companies with a dozen guides out each day, well, it's luck of the draw. Some of the guides are fun and entertaining, some of the guides are surly and boring.

Since two or three ladies (as dc212's CIA quality of inspection has deduced) I may as well finally expose the fact that........Joandio is female.

dc212, I find it very, very insulting that you would never once consider some of these fake posters are men. Something tells me you have an agenda yourself. I'll wave to you at Vinny's :-)

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The tour recommendations in town

P.S. - in the hotels (not the b&b's), the person who works the concierge desk is an employee of a tour company, not the hotel.

Just setting the record straight.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The tour recommendations in town

You have a point, definitely. There are a couple of lurkers on here whose agenda is self-promotion. However, this is not my concern. I may point it out from time to time when I feel that a post is questionable, but it is not my job to patrol/ police this board. I'm here to help people, and to learn about the city I love. I'm lucky enough to have a job which grants me limited computer access during the day so I can post on here.

I had someone send me a private message recently, asking if I worked for one of the trolley companies. Their whole point of contention was my screen name-- Tram3-- and a tram is another word for trolley. Now, this is just silly. I may have in the past recommended one trolley company over another, but if I was out to promote a certain company over the other it seems like this would not be that great of a method (i.e. hundreds of posts slowly over many years, and only a few concerning trolleys). And they were wrong: the 'Tram' referenced in my name has nothing to do with trains or trolleys.

If I had to step outside myself & look at my own posting history and guess, I'd have to venture that I owned either B. Matthews, Molly MacPherson's or Angel's BBQ, not a tour company or a bed and breakfast. And I'd be wrong. I don't own a restaurant. I just happen to like their food, and would rather see them get recognized as a can't-miss spot by the tourists. Perhaps there are other posters who feel the same way about certain tour companies-- I know I do. My own experiences and own job brings me into close proximity with many tour company owners-- I know many of them personally, and that certainly colors my preferences.

I do see your (very valid) point. But it is difficult (nay, impossible) to discern what people's real agendas are. I generally don't try. But you have called attention to what I feel is an important fact, and I do appreciate it: there are false posters on here with a less-than-subtle agenda for promotion.

So I add this warning for people looking for tour info on here: take EVERYTHING you read here with a grain of salt. We have relatively minor tour companies listed in the 'Things To Do' section with a huge (or one could say scarcely-believable) number of reviews. Even take my recommendations with a grain of salt. I could be a restauranteur or a trolley driver.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The tour recommendations in town

I think Tram3 is really Sarah Lee of poundcake fame.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The tour recommendations in town

Explains why I'm so popular. And spongy.

"Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee!"

Pooler
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The tour recommendations in town

Hi Tram3- Your not a trolley? :-)

I have no time to be the police here either. I mostly use it for my own information gathering. I lost my id from last summer. I didn't read much in the Savannah section then as I was mostly just looking for myself- so I did not know if this was a normal thing for here.

I just wanted to point to something that stood out to me. I work with several of the places to stay in town and know some of those people well and thought it was odd to see some stuff on here.

So pass the salt and enjoy your travels. :-)

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The tour recommendations in town

Point (and salt) well taken. I'd like to see this place remain as commercial-free as possible, but I realize seeing as how my address is not 2121 Gumdrop Lane right next to the rainbow on Rock Candy Mountain, it isn't quite a realistic thing to wish for.

Query: Can these grains of salt we're supposed to be taking everything with be on the rim of a tropical beverage?

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The tour recommendations in town

P.S.

Legal disclaimer: I do not work for any beverage company, alcoholic or otherwise, or their subsidiaries, holdings, or parent companies. I also do not work for any salt refinery, processing plant, or salt distribution service. Any salt dispensed by the poster known as Tram3 is probably sweat.

Any part of this message being reproduced, rebroadcast or described without the express written permission of NFL Films, Major League Baseball and the Motion Picture Association of America is prohibited. This was not a boating accident. Any tumescence lasting for more than four hours should be reported to a physician, as it may be a sign of severe side effects.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The tour recommendations in town

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Tram3 done covered his bases!

10. Re: The tour recommendations in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 13:19