We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

american breakfast...mmm!

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
american breakfast...mmm!

Hi, would love advice from locals or previous visitors...

I'm arriving in Savannah with friends at 6am and leaving the evening of the next day so we really want to make the most of our time.

We're going to be pretty hungry on arrival- can anyone suggest a great place for a traditional american breakfast with all the trimmings? I'm sure I read about somewhere that does a buffet but can't remember the name.

Any advice appreciated, will prob be posting again with more questions as planning continues!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

Will you and your friends be driving in or comming here by car? A lot will depend on where you will be at 6AM.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

Also - what day of the week will you be here?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

Actually, I don't think there is such a thing as an American Breakfast.

Most places in the South would have grits and butter as the main starch. Other places, hash brown potatoes.

Bacon, ham or sausage. Eggs, fried or scrambled. Seldom poached or soft boiled.

And then, of course, there are Pancakes and syrup, or Waffles and syrup. French toast is a sometimes thing.

Toast, jelly or jam and plenty of coffee.

And, the most typical of all......Cold Cereal.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

A nice place for breakfast is The Firefly Cafe. A nice selection of egg dishes and pancakes.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

Express Cafe, J. Christopher's and B. Matthews are my breakfast mainstays. All three have a pretty wide menu selection, so you can be sure to find this 'American breakfast' you're craving.

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

Hey again, thanks to everyone who posted so far. I'll definitely be Googling the places mentioned. We are arriving at 6am on the morning of the 16th September 08 and leaving at 8pm the following evening by Amtrak. We are probably staying in a hotel on east bay st, or very near. I'd

like to do a bus tour on the first day and perhaps end up for dinner at the Pirate's House (I've read variable reviews of the food but one of the group is fascinated with pirate/seafaring history and as I'm planning this section of our trip I'd love to surprise her with it!)

Can anyone recommend a good bus tour? There are just so many I don't know which to choose!

Also, any suggestions for the next day would be great. We are all quite into history and culture but I'd prefer to appreciate it by soaking up the atmosphere rather than making the trip seem too "educational". We are all quite active but the lack of a car might make it difficult to go far and I'm not sure how available public transport is. Are there any wildlife/nature tours in the surrounding area that we could do on the second day?

Thanks again everyone!

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

Hello MTWL!

Welcome to the South! Sounds like this is your first visit! Something that is very big in the South for Breakfast that you gotta try is Biscuits and Gravy! You said that your going to be hungry this is just the thing!!! And I know you have had tea (hot) try the sweet tea its cold with ice you can get it for any meal!

Enjoy!

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
744 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

Cleary's in the Historic Distict is great for an old Savannah traditional breakfast. We ate there this morning and it was delicious. It is mentioned in "the book", Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Nothing fancy. Just a diner. The Oglethorpe will fill you up for the day. And be sure you order grits. It is a southern favorite staple for all true southerners.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

marla did they have shrimp and grits ? Yhat little animal is pretty big around Savavvah!

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
744 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: american breakfast...mmm!

No shrimp and grits. Just plain ol' grits and cheese grits. Shrimp and grits is served at lunch or dinner for those who love grits 24/7.

If you want shrimp and grits, check out Bonna Bella Yacht Club. Cute place. Great fish stew. Cute atmosphere. Great outdoor table area for when the weather cooperates. Not easy to find but worth the drive if you are out near Isle of Hope. Nice view of the marsh.

Get answers to your questions about Savannah
Recent Conversations