We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

We are heading to Savannah next week. My husband loves Barbeque. We will have a car - any recommendations for barbeque would be appreciated. Thanks.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

Angel's is real good, but Johnny Harris is a better choice!

The ride down Victory Drive to get to it from Abercorn is very pretty. The restaurant building dates to the 1930's (I think).....I was once told it was a speakeasy during the Prohibition. They have a good menu.

If you don't want to leave the Historic District, Wall's is also a great choice. It is in the alley between York and Oglethorpe, Houston and Price Streets.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

we like all three. johnny harris is most surely the oldest of the three, although i am not sure how old walls might be, with angels being the new kid on the block. we prefer johnny harris for supper, or larger meals and rely on them for excellent steak selections. johnny harris is one of the few bbq joints i know to have a wine list. wall's bbq and angels both are our favorites for bbq, especially wall's ribs! angels is our pick for pulled pork sandwiches though far and away the best of the bunch we have tried. both are closed on mondays like every good bbq joint ought to be. johnny harris is open on monday, and therefore we consider it more of a restaurant than a bbq joint. if i just had to choose between walls and angels i'd have to go with angels, but only by a nose, as the horse racers say.

please let us know which you enjoyed most, and have a great trip!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

On the corner of Waters and Stephenson is a relatively new BBQ joint called Smoke Station. It's been my favorite non-downtown BBQ eatery since moving to Savannah.

As for downtown, I prefer Angel's.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

Are the sauces at the bbq joints mustard, vinegar or tomato based? I'm partial to tomato based. Thanks for the tips.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

a few in south georgia use a mustard base, but the majority in georgia far and a away are tomato based.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

Thats what I am talking about BBQman sweet and heat!That can't be beat!!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

stinson's bbq in lumber city ga has a fine mustard based bbq sauce which accentuates their fine pit cooked bbq wonderfully well. it'll tear up a set of tonsils let me tell you flat footed.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
253 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

I have eaten at Johnny Harris maybe 15 times in the 20 years I have lived in Savannah and never had a memorable meal.

On the other hand stop by Kroger and pick up a few bottles of their original Hickory BBQ sauce. Outstanding. You will pay about $2.25 per bottle.

I had the best BBQ I have eaten in Savannah from a stand only open on the weekends located next to David's Supermarket (Bull St at 41st?).

9. Re: Johnny Harris or Angel's for BBQ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 04:21