We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New BBQ joint?

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New BBQ joint?

Anyone been to the new place on MLK called Blowin' Smoke BBQ?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New BBQ joint?

I haven't been, yet. But, savannahfoodie.com has said it's going to write a review on it. Still waiting. I'm not sure if you know it or not, but it was started by the owners of b. Matthews. It's tough for me to get downtown, so I've been hitting Blowin' Smoke on the corner of Stephenson and Waters. Let me know how it is if you make it there.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New BBQ joint?

I'll have to give it a try. I've been traveling quite a bit so I haven't even been to B. Matthews here for a long while, so somehow I missed the news.

Any idea what type of sauce they're using?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New BBQ joint?

I don't know. They have a website with a menu:

www.blowinsmokebbq.com

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New BBQ joint?

The price on the web seems to be pretty good .... I have not looked at it very long but, my guess would be a sweet and tangy as compared to pepper vinegar in NC

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New BBQ joint?

I'll try it in the next couple of days.

I feel like I'm cheating on Andy and Eileen at Angel's BBQ, though!

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New BBQ joint?

Hey! do not cheat yourself I have heard that BBQ is not just for breakfast anymore! :-) LOL

Enjoy and let us know !!!!

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New BBQ joint?

I finally got down to Broughton to sample the new BBQ place. Just thought I'd share my review here (also posted as a review in the restaurant section):

I was pleasantly surprised by this BBQ restaurant (it definitely isn't a 'joint'-- no back-alley feel with weird hours). A generous heaping of pulled pork and some nice side items (the sides are expensive if ordered separately, perhaps this needs to be addressed on the lunch menu so more folks order the sandwich-- which comes with a limited selection of sides-- instead of the meal, which comes with two sides). This place also features an expanded menu, another sign that this is a restaurant as opposed to a hole-in-the-wall.

The pork was delicately seasoned. For something touted as brined and then smoked I expected a different flavor, but it wasn't bad at all, just differing from my expectations.

Two noteworthy suggestions/curious omissions: I had to request more sauce, which seemed homemade and very tasty. It was tangy and sweetish tomato based, with a slightish hint of fire (maybe more spice to it in subsequent batches?). Also, a BBQ place needs collard greens, which were not on the menu.

But I'll definitely be going back for more. BBQ purists and those accustomed to fine dining will both find things they'll like at this new offering from the owners of B. Matthews.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New BBQ joint?

Sounds good I may stop by on my way to St Augustine!

9. Re: New BBQ joint?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 18:20