We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must eat at savannah

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Must eat at savannah

Only going to be in savannah for a short period of time and i'm looking for 2 local places to eat. Is there something that is a must to try? locals place? Good smoked meat without the BBQ sauce poured on?

Thank you

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must eat at savannah

Good BBQ in Savannah can be summed up in one word: Angel's.

Sweet Leaf has its' devotees, and Blowin' Smoke and Wall's BBQ have their good points, but you just can't top Angel's for good smoked chicken or pork.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must eat at savannah

Angel's is THE place downtown.

For a true Savannah lunch, go to Mrs. Wilkes, M-F, 11-2, cash.

Jeffersonville, IN
Level Contributor
2 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must eat at savannah

I went to Savannah in March and we ate at Tubby's Tankhouse on River Street. I had one of the best fried Mai Mai sandwiches that I've ever had. I think Mrs. Wilkes is one of the best restaurants in the historic district. The Lady and Sons is pretty good. If you go out to Tybee Island, eat at The Breakfast Club. It doesn't look like much but the food is good and the cost is cheap.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must eat at savannah

Lady and Sons is NOT a locals' restaurant, if you want to stick to the real thing. Lady and Sons used to be frequented by locals when it was in its first location,with high quality food. But now it's an overhyped tourist trap.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must eat at savannah

Oh, and Angel's serves their entrees generally already sauced, but it is added in the skillet right before it is served. So you can request it sans sauce if you'd prefer-- they make the sauce available at the table, too, as well as homemade dry rubs and hot sauces.

6. Re: Must eat at savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 13:16