We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding reception venue

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
wedding reception venue

Hello all,

I am looking for the local Savannah experts to help here. I am trying to find a signature "Savannah" reception site for a wedding. I have already looked at the major hotels (Hyatt, Marriott, Westin) and the Mansion on Forsyth, as well as Bryson Hall, Savannah Station, and the Mackey House.

I would love a restaurant, mansion or country club setting that can host up to 80 guests and has an indoor/outdoor setting (e.g., a garden or patio). I am looking for open space so we can have dinner and a dancefloor and I'd love if it can be in or near the historic district...oh, and I want a room with lots of windows or really good lighting (no cellars or basements).

Have I missed any hidden jewels?

Thanks in advance :-)

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding reception venue

I see by some of your other posts that you were thinking of going to the Caribean for your wedding. If that is the sort of setting that you want, I don't think that you will find it in Savannah. However, the places that you named all have good possibilities.

An outdoor setting would depend on what time of year you wanted. For example, right now, it's very undependable with a lot of thundershowers, hail, etc. A couple of weeks ago, it would have been beautiful. It's a tricky thing to plan anything with Mother Nature being so peculiar these days. You wouldn't want outdoors during the gnat season either.

Google for Wedding planners in Savannah. you may find just the information you need from someone that could give you exact details depending on when you wanted to have it.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wedding reception venue

Savannah's country and social gentlemens' clubs are private, so you would need a member to sponsor your reception. So far, the Mackey House seems to fit the bill alhtough it's far from downtown....you're just not going to find a plantation setting in the Historic district.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: wedding reception venue

You may want to check out the Scarbrough House, now called Ships of the Sea Museum(www.shipsofthesea.org). It is attractive and has a garden.

The Harper-Fowlkes House Museum on Orleans Square also seems attractive---here's a picture link: travelphotobase.com/f/GASIX/GAS32S01.HTMT. The Greek Revival mansion was built in 1843 and is filled with period antiques, silver, china and crystal. The Society Of Cincinnati of the State of Georgia runs it. It does have a courtyard.

This website pictures various venues and has a link to weddings/events: http://www.luxurylivingsavannah.com.

The Olde Pink House on Reynolds Square has added on a large area designed for large parties. Sorry, no website.

First City Club is located on Johnson Square and the main area does have tall windows looking out on the square: www.firstcityclub.com.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Orleans Square
Orleans Square
3 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Olde Pink House
Olde Pink House
2,416 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Reynolds Square
Reynolds Square
47 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Johnson Square
Johnson Square
54 Reviews
Savannah, GA
route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wedding reception venue

The Harper-Fowlkes House on Orleans Square is available only to members of the Sons of the Cincinatti.

Why not rent space in Forsyth Park, under a large tent, big enough for up to 100? I've seen some very elaborate set-ups, complete with electric generators for lights & sound equipment. You can even have a dance floor set up, tables, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Harper Fowlkes House
Harper Fowlkes House
114 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Orleans Square
Orleans Square
3 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Forsyth Park
Forsyth Park
7,044 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wedding reception venue

Try either Vic's on the River or Garibaldi's. Both are fine restaurants, have large upstairs areas that you can rent out, and seem to fit your ambiance requirements.

I have attended receptions at both and was wowed by them.

Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wedding reception venue

I'm getting married 11/29 and my ceremony is at Forsyth park and my reception is in the wine cellar at il pasticcio. They have another room for parties to if a wine cellar isn't your taste.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wedding reception venue

Thanks all for your suggestions!! Very helpful. Aileen, yes we were looking at Vieques in Puerto Rico, but we decided that it would be too costly for a lot of our guests. We have been to Savannah and fell in love with the place so we opted to forego the tropics for southern charm :)

I'll let you all know how we make out in our planning.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wedding reception venue

Contact the Savannah Convnetion and Visitors Bureau (CVB). I have heard the CVB has published a manual on Savannah weddings ----the city as a wedding destination, how & where to plan, Georgia law, you name it. Sorry I didn't think of this earlier. Some of the old-line Protestant churches will rent their sanctuaries for thousands of dollars, with the $$ going towards restorations funds. Museums like the Telfair and Jepson host elegant wedding receptions for a very high fee, then you still have to add on a caterer, florist, security, transportaiton, and so on. It ain't gonna be cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wedding reception venue

My husband and I had our reception at the Mulberry Inn which is now a Holiday Inn property (it wasn't in April 1989). It was held indoor and out and I have to say, was the nicest reception (maybe not the most expensive) I could have imagined. We had two open bars, a live band for dancing and incredible food and carving stations. We only had about 100 people total but it was the most romantic day of my life. We left in our wedding attire via horse and buggy and rode thru the historic district before going to the Magnolia on Forsyth Park and sat on the front porch (still in wedding attire) and drank champagne. It was a true fairy tale and all our guests had a marvelous time. We had our rehearsal dinner at the Chart House. Best Wishes, let me know if I can be of any further help!

Mentioned in this post
Forsyth Park
Forsyth Park
7,044 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Chart House
Chart House
986 Reviews
Savannah, GA
10. Re: wedding reception venue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2008, 03:51