We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moderately priced restaurants

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pa
Level Contributor
553 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Moderately priced restaurants

We will be visiting for the day and am asking about suggestions for restaurants for lunch and dinner. I did research on this site for some of the restaurants listed were either too expensive (fancy) or more of a deli. Do you have any suggestion for moderately priced restaurants good for lunch and dinner with kids menus?Thanks!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

It all depends in what part of town you will be at for lunch or dinner.

Historic District?

Tybee Island?

Shopping Malls?

Please write back and we can provide more input.

pa
Level Contributor
553 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

Thank you for your help. We are staying in Hilton Head and thought come for a visit and walk around the historic district, Forsyth Park and maybe the Fort that is there. We have 3 kids ages 10,8 and 6. We mainly wanted to get a feel for the Southern atmosphere we hear is in Savannah. If you have any suggestions on what we should do, that would be great. Thanks!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

Skip the fort in Forsyth Park. It isn't really a fort. It was a training thing of some sort for WWI I think it is a run down nothing that's not open to the public.

But if you are in the Forsyth Park area, go a couple of blocks east to Clary's on Abercorn St. If you are near your car and want to ride a little....try Barbara Jean's on Wilmington Island.

The Midtown area (about 4 miles south on Abercorn St) has all the usual fast food places, a cafeteria in the Oglethorpe Mall, A Golden Coral, Sticky Fingers Bar-B-Que, and a host of others. Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Steak Houses and Seafood. Prices will be much less than the Historic Area and you will get to see more of the "Real" Savannah.

pa
Level Contributor
553 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

Thanks for the suggestions. I was originally thinking of Fort Pulaski (I couldn't think of the name when I was writing my other post) but I haven't looked into where it is or how much time it will take.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

Ft Pulaski is about 20 minutes from downtown, on the way, in fact almost to, Tybee beach.

If you head out that way, maybe get a meal at Fannies which has a second floor that is open to outside and looks across a parking lot to the ocean. It is not a fancy place, just beachy and fun. There is also a good pizza place on Tybee, with inside and outside seating, Uncle Vinnies right on the main drag.

There are several reasonable places downtown as well, Vinnie Van Go Go's in City Market has pizza by the slice, Angel's BBQ on Oglethorpe Lane just west of Bull St, grab a sandwhich and some excellent fries and go sit in a square. One Eyed Lizzie's overlooks River Street with Tex-Mex kind of food. B&D Burgers on Broughton has lots of different things as does Wild Wings in City Market. J. Christopher's on Liberty near Abercorn has breakfast and lunch from 6am til 2 pm.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

walls bbq or carey hillards will fill you up without straining your pockets and are both taste pleasers.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

FYI, Vinnie's Pizza is open for dinner only on days of the week, but is open for lunch on the weekends.

Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

Since your coming to Savannah to experience the southern hospitality, you have to go to Mrs. Wilks for lunch. You'll experience wonderful down home cooking at it's finest!! She's on Jones Street, open for lunch only 11-2, get there early and bring your appetite!!

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

Other suggestions?

Zunzi's (eclectic) lunch only

Molly MacPherson's (Scottish)

Screaming Mimi's (pizza & subs)

Olympia Cafe (Greek)

10. Re: Moderately priced restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 08:19