We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

Maryville, TN
3 posts
Save Topic
Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

Please help!! My husband and I are planning a trip to Savannah and are staying in the Historic District. Can anyone tell me which restaurant has the best fresh, local seafood?

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

The Bistro at City Market and The Olde Pink House are the first to come to mind. If you want shrimp, look on the door or entrance windows for the sign that proclaims the restaurant serves certified Georgia wild shrimp. Otherwise, expect frozen imports from China.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

All of the restaurants on River Street offer fresh, locally caught seafood.

"Best" is relative - depending upon what you want.

I like Tubby's Tank House the best - but it is casual and laid back.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

'Best' is variable. Also, what are you looking for?

Best flounder? The Olde Pink House. Best scallops? 45 Bistro. Best grilled shrimp? Sapphire Grill. Best crab cake? Vic's on the River.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

I second Joandio's recommendation of Tubby's. I should have thought of them, their fried shrimp is fantastic....they're sweet & oh so fresh.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

Best scallops? Bistro Savannah. Best flounder? Olde Pink House. Best tuna? Sapphire Grill. Best fried seafood? Tubby's Tank House Best crab cakes? Surprisingly, I really like the crab cakes at Jazz'd. Best calamari? A Vida.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

We didn't worry too much about seafood on our recent trip there since we have tons of it back home but we had a terrible experience at Tubby's! We had been to the one in Thunderbolt and thought it was fun (NOT fancy, very much a kick-back place) so we thought we would like Tubby's downtown. We got terrible service even though the place was only about half full, I was served a glass of half-drunk wine with lipstick stains- obviously taken off the wrong tray, and my son was served beer in a very broken glass. When we both gave our glasses back, the waiter thought it was funny, no apologies. The food was very mediocre. As someone who has grown up on fish, I would take suggestions other than Tubby's. We plan to go back to Savannah frequently since we bought a house there but we won't be going to Tubby's!

Savannah, Georgia
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

Definitely the Olde Pink House! Just delectable!

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

The tuna is VERY good at Sapphire Grill. I had forgotten about that.

Savannah
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

It really depends if you want casual or fine dining. The Pink House, Sapphire Grill, and Bistro Savannah (excellent seafood) are all wonderful places for seafood, but they are all fine dining. I would avoid Tubby's personally (I am not a big fan of fried foods.) If you don't want fine dining I would try Vic's on the River or the Cotton Exchange (their seafood bisque is excellent!) If you like oysters you may want to try the Oyster Bar or Bernie's both are known for their oysters. There are so many great seafood restaurants, it all depends on what you are looking for.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best seafood restaurant in the Historic District?

The Oyster Bar on River St. looks dirty, unappetizing.

Get answers to your questions about Savannah