We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon October 6-11

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Iowa
11 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon October 6-11

My Fiance and I would like some help with a few things. Another thing you should know is we dont like seafood, boo, hiss, I know. We have tried it but doesnt float our boat. So we looking for good steak and chicken places.

First things first we are staying at Catherine Ward House and we are not renting a car. We are both 26-27 so walking shouldnt kill us.

We arrive in Savannah around 12 so we will get a taxi and head to Catherine Ward House. After that we would like a nice lunch somewhere around there, nothing to fancy, suggestions?

Then after that we havent decided if we wanted a walking tour, carriage tour or any other tour of the city. We wanted to do this Monday afternoon so we can get a feel of what we wanted to do for the rest of the week.

Tuesday is Savannah Day Spa with lunch there and want a nice romantic dinner that night, any suggestions?

Rest of the week is up in there air, suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for you help.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

Take an evening carriage tour as a romantic way to see Savannah at night.They depart from City Market and the Hyatt Regency stands. Your innkeeper can make a reservation for a private carriage. The Catherine Ward House nearly reaches the southern edge of Forsyth Park and is outside the Historic District, so if you take a tour, you'll have to be picked up by a tour company shuttle or get downtown on your own.

Jump on an open-air trolley to get a good look & listen about the old city.

For your first lunch in Savannah, not far from the Catherine Ward House is The Wilkes House, or as we know it, Mrs. Wilkes...best Southern cooking in the free world. It's fresh and there's plenty of it. They serve only lunch, M-F, 11 until 2. You can walk to the Wilkes House from your Inn in say, 15 minutes. After lunch, waddle around a while.

Have the romantic post-spa dinner on Tuesday night at any of the following:

The Olde Pink House

Vic's on the River

17Hundred90

Sapphire Grill

just to name a few

Tip: Fatima, of Savannah Day Spa fame gives an outstanding facial. Hope she's your esthetician.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

Real close to CW house is Sentient Bean a coffee shop on Park ave. They have nice little things for lunch and it is a very comfortable place.

If you are headed downtown anyway, just head north on Abercorn and go to Zunzi's, Just west of Abercorn on York. It is maybe 15 minutes walk from your Inn has excellent food and the walk down Abercorn is nice once you get to the first square.

Walk back via Bull street for a new view.

Be careful if you two are alone walking back from downtown late, especially if you have had a few drinks.

We walk all the time but anymore after 11 or so, we catch a cab or pedi-cab. We live a block from your B&B.

Burlington, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

Foggybottom

Thanks for the suggestions, might be cutting it close with Mrs Wilkes on the first day, but definately a place we will have to go to while in Savannah.

Do those restaurants that you mentioned for Tuesday night serve a nice steak?

We are also looking for a nice place for drinks one night, nothing where the music is to loud.

Thanks again.

BrianO

I remember reading that somewhere about catching a cab or pedicab late at night, thanks again for the reminder.

If you dont mind me asking how much do you give them?

Also is there a reliable taxi company you use?

I was also thinking about an airport transfer in a limo just for fun any good Limo Company?

I have read these boards since I started planning this trip, which has been close to a year. I should have everything planned out already but I pick a restaurant and get I read a bad review then I change my mind.

I was really hoping that nice steak house they are building would have been done by October but from what I hear isnt going to happen. Somewhere in Savannah has to be a good steak and I hope I find it when I am there.

I should have told you I have been to Savannah before, I was stationed at both Ft. Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield. I was young just 18 when I arrived there and never really took adavantage of the town and what it had to offer.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
187 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

Can't help you with the steak dinner as we ate mostly seafood while there. BUT...the best advice I can give you is to hop on a trolley and take a tour of the historic district. It is by far the best way to get your bearings and decide where you would enjoy spending more time. The trolley we took was $10.00 I think. The driver was very interesting and informative. As well as narrating the tour, he told us stories and gave us lots of interesting facts along the way. It takes you around the different squares and also down to River St. where you're able to see the river, shops, restaurants, etc. Although he's not supposed to, he dropped us back off at our Inn. It was a great way to see the city for the first time. During the next couple of days we walked back to the places that held the most interest for us. Congratulations and have a great time.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
187 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

Our favorite place to have drinks was the 17 Hundred 90, very romantic and cozy atmosphere with a nice bar area and comfortable couches surrounding a fireplace. Also enjoyed drinks at the Six Pence Pub. Very cozy and not too loud.

Burlington, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

I know I am asking alot a questions and I apologize but I want to make this a good romantic experience for my Fiance.

If the weather holds up I would like to do a nice picnic lunch. Where would a good location be and where is a good place to get that type of food. What is the policy for alcohol in public and parks?

Burlington, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

Lizaj

Thanks for the recommendations for drinks those sound perfect.

Do you remember the name of the trolley company?

Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

Krus82,

My husband and I love the Boarshead on the Riverwalk for a great Filet! We eat there everytime we come to Savannah.

Burlington, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

I will definately have to check out Boarshead, thank you.

Also thought about Johnny Harris, is that in walking distance from Catherine Wards or cab?

How bout Belfords? Is it good?

10. Re: Honeymoon October 6-11

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 15:20