We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

(Sort of) Brief Trip Report - Savannah

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
(Sort of) Brief Trip Report - Savannah

I always come here for great suggestions whenever I travel to a new place, so I thought I would "give something back" to the forum.

My wife and I went down to Savannah for a 3-day weekend for our 1st wedding anniversary. Here is a rundown of what we did and where we ate.

Zeigler House- we checked in late (10pm) Thursday night, but the host was very accommadating and even took several minutes to show us a map of the historic district and offered to make us dinner reservations. The house itself was very nice, we had a ground-level room with our own door which worked well for us. Jackie, the host, makes fresh baked goods each day and brings them to your room rather than preparing a hot breakfast for the guests. The baked goods were delicious, my favorite was the cream cheese danish bars. They also keep your fridge stocked with water, juice, and Cokes. I would certainly stay there again.

Oglethorpe Tours- we took the $10 trolley tour on Friday morning, we had a great tour guide and it was a good way to get our bearings of where everything was located.

Mrs Wilkes- we ate there for lunch on Friday. We arrived around 11:15 and only had to wait about 20 minutes which was less of a wait than we feared. The food was very good, I loved the BBQ beef and mashed potatoes. The family style lunch was $16 per person.

Crystal Beer Parlor- this place was off the beaten path and near our B&B. The burger was good and they had a Dixieland band playing on Friday night. There were a lot of locals there.

Greg's Creepy Pub Crawl- we took this tour on Friday night at 9pm. We met at Six Pence Pub. Greg was a funny guy who did a good job. He took us to about 5 different bars where we would get a drink and he would tell us a spooky story about something that happened there. It was $15 and I'd say it was worth it.

Old Pink House- we had dinner there on Saturday night. I called a few days in advance and got a reservation for 6:45. Our table was upstairs in the ball room. The fried calamari appetizer was some of the best I've ever had. All the food was great, I had crab-stuffed grouper (special) and my wife had shrimp and grits as her entree (its on the menu as an appetizer). I had a beer and she had a glass of wine, we skipped desert and our bill was about $80.

Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's)- we had lunch here on Sunday and did even't have to wait in line at all. We got there about 11:15 and walked right in. We were shocked as we expected to wait at least an hour from what we had heard. The food was unreal, we thought it was clearly better than Mrs. Wilkes. They had a lot on the buffet, but my favorites were fried chicken, baked chicken (best I've had), green beans, and collards. The buffet was $16 per person I believe and worth every penny.

Well, those were the highlights. Not quite as brief as I'd planned, but I hope it helps.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: (Sort of) Brief Trip Report - Savannah

One more thing worth mentioning...we loved the open-air bar at the Old Pink House. We stopped in there for some rest and refreshment a few times over the course of the weekend. The weather is perfect for that kind of thing this time of year.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: (Sort of) Brief Trip Report - Savannah

Thanks! This was very helpful :-)

Colorado
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: (Sort of) Brief Trip Report - Savannah

Thank you for your report, we will be in Savannah starting tomorrow through Sunday and then on to Charleston. It was nice to hear your experience with Lady and Son's, as most of the reports on the forums didn't give a very good review. Loved all your thoughts on everything we definitly will take them all into consideration. I'm soooo excited to go.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: (Sort of) Brief Trip Report - Savannah

Thanks for taking the time to post that, good helpful info.

I am glad to hear about The Lady and Sons, we have started talking it down a little here, long lines, not great food, maybe they have realized the quality was slipping and got things straight. I hope that is the case, I may have to make the sacrifice and try it out myself ;)

Thanks again.

5. Re: (Sort of) Brief Trip Report - Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 06:22