We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo dining friendly places

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
solo dining friendly places

Hi,

I'm making my first trip to Savannah. Going to Atlanta for a big convention but added 3 night/2 day side trip to Savannah because I hear it is great and I enjoy historical sites. I will be traveling/dining alone and think some restaurants are better than others for that purpose. I am content to sit and read a book while waiting for courses. I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Express in the historic district and have a rental car. Any suggestions for lunch/dinner will be appreciated and let me know if reservations are recommended for a Thurs or Fri evening. I'm not sure many restaurants will take a reservation for one.

Thanks!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo dining friendly places

Wiley's Championship BBQ on Whitemarsh Island is a fun new place for casual lunch or supper (11a-3p, Mon-Wed; 11a-3p + 5p-8p Thu-Sat). Lulu's Chocolate Bar is a very chic place for a quiet glass of wine and chocolate indulgence (after 5pm). The Olde Pink House has newly expanded. Dinner for one in their new bar overlooking the sidewalk. Firefly on Troupe Square is a quaint little spot for great soup and veggie fare. Savannah Tea Room on Broughton Street is the most quiet, peacefully satisfying dining niche in town! Don't miss a trip to Tybee Island, even if you pack your only picnic for one and lunch or breakfast on the beach! In Savannah the folks are so friendly it's impossible to feel alone.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo dining friendly places

mrs wilkes for lunch, angels bbq or walls bbq are also excellent.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo dining friendly places

Mrs. Wilkes is family style so you would eat a table with others. Only open 11-2 for lunch weekdays. No reservations, walk up only.

Vinnie Van Go Gos for Pizza at City Market would be good quicker place to eat. Pretty good pizza too.

There is a Greek restaraunt on River St that we like for lunch for the Greek Salad. Have eaten dinner there once and it was good too.

I think you made a great choice for a place to visit. Be sure to see all the squares (easier to walk them to see sites, it is hard to drive and really sightsee). I would suggest taking a Trolley Tour with on/off privileges first day so you can see places you might want to see more of. Also, definitely make a drive out to Bonaventure Cemetary, really beautiful setting. You might want to combine with a 1/2 drive on out to Tybee Island to check out the beach, a nice lighthouse and the 50s-60s feel to the little shopping district on island. Kinda a throwback in process of becoming jore gentrified with condos and the like. Stroll along River St of course.

The HI Express is a great location. We usually stay at the Hampton right across the st. Try to arrange your driving trip so you can leave car parked most of the time. Although weekdays may not be that bad for parking, it is nice not to worry about getting a good spot.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo dining friendly places

I like having solo meals at Sweet Potatoes on Waters Avenue, Geneva's on Bee Road (near Victory), and luncheon at Cafe 37 (Abercorn at 37th St in the carriage house behind the antiques mall.) Breakfast at the Breakfast Club at Tybee is great solo fun, too.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo dining friendly places

Thanks to all of you! I enjoyed my two day stay in Savannah. I had a good time at Mrs. Wilkes...met some great people and a native from Savannah was at the table and she could identify all of the dishes for those of us from out of town. I also enjoyed Geneva's and had my first experience with grits at Huey's. Once again, thank you for all of your help and kind advice.

6. Re: solo dining friendly places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 04:19