We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

Hi. My husband and I will be in Savannah next year (1/26 through 1/30) for his birthday. On our last visit to the town, we saw most of the major historic district, Tybee island, Bonaventure, Ft. Pulaski and Ft. Jackson. We had such a good time.

I'd love to go back to some of those places, but also I'd like to see something that we haven't seen. We love history, nature, art..., and don't mind walking. It can be outside of the town as we'll have a car.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

Did you get to ride along the bluff at The Isle of Hope? Or to Wormsloe? If you didn't, Wormsloe is just a bit down the road from the Bluff. Do a google search for Wormsloe. Go down Laroche Ave. and check out the big tree at Majastic Oaks subdivision. It's a unusual Laurel Oak. Laroche Ave was the route for some international races back in the early 1900s. As you drive, imagine zipping around those curves at 60 mph.

That time of January might be a little cold. Don't plan to heavily on walking. Riding around might work a lot better. I guess you could say that I hate Cold....even a little bit!

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

BBQman sent me this link on my last trip, which i found very useful:

http://www.savannahoffthebeatenpath.com

Make sure you check out "Harold's Country Club" on that link

Dont forget the barrier islands, like cumberland if you like nature, or just want to see more of the area.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

Also, St Augustine FL and Charleston SC are very rich in 1700-1800s american history. Either would make a good day trip from savannah.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

Wow, all sound great!

Thank you very much for the info. We really look forward to seeing these places.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

please try eating lunch one day at walls bbq. it's magnificent and unique unto it's own little world, with great bbq,and succulent sides which one could easily make a meal out of alone without the pork. i am waiting to be struck dead any second by the pork fat guru for having typed that. enjoy!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

The Telfair Museum has two art display buildings, one very old and one brand new and also owns a restored antebellum house. You can get a ticket for all three, which are within walking distance right downtown and all worth seeing.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

Thank you, everyone, there are so much we haven't seen. I really underestimated the town, didn't I? bbqman, you TOTALLY convinced me to Walls BBQ!!!

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

Walls' BBQ is open ONLY Thursday through Saturday afternoons, 515 East York LANE, which is the alley between East York Street and East Oglethorpe Avenue....you have to hunt for the place, it's inside the rear part an older house. Walls' is known for no-nonsense good food...they've been a locals' favorite for years. I've been going there since the late 70's-early 80's.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

BrianO gives great advice with the Telfair Museum pass. We got the pass for all three places, only $15 and is good for a week. The Owne-Thomas House is a great home to see, very different. The Jepsen Center had some great exhibits while we were there, and a wonderful view on the terrace. Finally the Telfair Museum, also interesting. I highly recommend doing all three, and the price can't be beat.

Another fun and different thing we did, was the Foodie Tour. It was lots of fun, and we got to see a different side of Savannah. Places we wouldn't have gone as a regular tourist.

10. Re: Need suggestions - What MORE to see in Savannah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 06:22