We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

After a week-long vacation to San Francisco / Monterey Bay in October, I'm ready to begin dreaming about a travel adventure for 2009, and Charleston is a possibility...with a day or two in Savannah configured into the week. Like Northern CA these are both places I've never explored (though I've been to Kiawah and Hilton Head several times in the mid-80s).

Generally when I'm planning our vacations, I like to gather advice about things to do, places to eat and stay and how to organize this in a way that's not a crammed-full schedule but rather a relaxing time to appreciate the area. We're in our early 60s; regularly see art exhibitions in the cities we visit or catch some live music; prefer distinctive, though not necessarily lavish, lodging and dining; like to walk but not really athletic; particularly appreciated the natural splendor of CA.

What do you suggest I look into for Savannah?

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

What time of year do you plan to see Charleston & Savannah? Can you name your month? That will open up suggesstions & opinions from the usual suspects here.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

We can come March 7-14, April 4-11 or after May 8.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

I would pick the April 4-11. That is the time of year to see Savannah (and Charleston) at their best.

The weather should be great and the azaleas will probably be at their blooming like crazy.

March 7-14 might be toooo early for a good showing and May would be too late.

That would also be a wonderful time of year to see Magnolia Gardens and the Middleton Plantation in Charleston.

http://www.middletonplace.org/

http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

Be sure to visit and wander the grounds of Ft Pulaski. It was a historical site before white people lived in California. It is beautiful there and very different from the west coast. The drive out is very nice, it is 15 minutes or so from downtown Savannah. It is also just a few minutes from the beach, killing two tourist birds with one trip!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

Also our Telfair museum has a great permanent collection in a historic house converted to a museum, a second new building has several galleries for rotating shows and they own a restored antebellum house you can tour. All are within walking distance and you can get a combination ticket that is a good bargain.

http://www.telfair.org/

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

I am in the same boat at the 60's are Present plans call for visiting Charleston ( may 17-21) and then May 21-23 in Savannah

I have noted the things to do.... and have reviewed the hotel and restauraunt scene. What my wife and I are looking for are dinners, driveins and dives.... Not Paula Dean palaces.... Want simple southern food in a real peoples place... where 2 can eat under 30 and swig down cold beer rather than Chardonnay. I have been to the best eateries in the world..... now I seek little earthy local places.

Got ideas?

Also with a car Do I really need to stay down town?

I have noticed a lot of hotels charge parking fees from 10 to 25 a night. Are there public garages or lots I will be coming mid-week to avoid weekend

visitor clut

Thanks from Hawaii..... ( yes we do leave the islands)

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

Simple Southern Food in real people places: Sweet Potatoes on Waters Avenue (near the intersect. of Eisenhower) and Geneva's on Bee Road near the corner of Victory.....both have the "Deen Palace" beat all to pieces. We also love A.J.'s Dockside on Tybee Island, Savannah's beach. (Plenty beer also available at all of the above!).

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

Thank you Mame....

I have traveled to the south many times and love the people and attitudes I encounter. I have had my fill with delicate, sublime presentations from the design center... in a reduction or essence.

Corn on the cob...Slaw..Sausages...Biscuts, grits, crab, Fresh salty shrimp and any kind of pork......with a Dr Pepper sounds better to me

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

By all means avoid dining (if you can call it that) at the altar which worships a triumverate of butter, salt and grease known as Paula Deen's Lady and Sons; ditto her second restaurant, 'Uncle Bubba's Oyster House'. Neither serves 'distinctive' dishes unless institutional food is your objective.

Real Southern flavor is found at quiet eateries such as Genenva Geneva's on Bee Road just south of East Victory Drive, Sweet Potatoes on Waters Avenue at Eisenhower Drive, or for the true connoisseur with a car to drive to it: The United House of Prayer for All People on West Bay Street from downtown Savannah. The most revered of all Savannah institutions since 1943 is Mrs. Wilkes', 107 West Jones Street, dinner only, M-F, 11a.m. until 2p.m. Once a boarding house, it's now the setting for Savannah's purest form of Southern cooking.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 60-something First-timers to Savannah / 2009

Thank you Foggy....I got them in my sights... I plan on 3 nights in Charleston and 2 in Savanna....Never been....I figgure they are the next best thing to New Orleans... which is no longer an option .

I am taking a month to drive from Memphis (BBQ) to DC and out of Greenville SC.....big loop......diners drivein and dive tour..... Dure to the economy I am getting price quotes for hotels 50to 60% off rates...

Thank you sincerely all.............