We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Value Savannah Restaurants

Perry, Iowa
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Good Value Savannah Restaurants

my friend and I will be visiting Savannah in March 2009.

We are not picky eaters. We like Southern food, seafood, barbeque etc.

I would like some recommendations for your favorite restaurants that are a good value. We don't necessarily need high end restaurants, but we don't mind splurging if the food is exceptional.

How about Vic's on the River? or Noble Fare?

I see mixed reviews of Olde Pink House. What do you think?

Thank you for your advice! Laurie

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

If you want to go cheap and local, maybe try the whole vacation on just cheap drop in local places. Angel's bbq, Wall's bbq (for some reason I thought this was Wahl's anyone know for sure?), Geneva Genevas, that sort of thing. Lots more if you ask around.

I like Vic's more for a drink, an appetizer and standing on the balcony over River Street. I think the food is overpriced but great place, may be worth it if you are visiting.

Have not tried Noble Fare but have heard nothing but good.

Pink House gets good reviews, one recently was not good but that is rare and it is in a great house in a great spot. The bar is really nice in the basement. Go there get a n appetizer, if it draws you in, eat dinner. March can be busy so make reservations if you decide early in your trip.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

Carey Hilliard's fits your need, but you will have to drive at least 10 minutes from the Historic District to find one. Just about everything on the menu is $10 and less, seafood, bbq, etc.

savannahmenu.com/info_pages.php?pages_id=415

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

To maximize your dollars, I would look at some of the chain restaurants for lunch/dinner, and mix in a few of the "savannah favorites". Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Pizza Hut, Some KFC's, Chili's, Applebees type restaurants either have an all you can eat buffet option, or give you a plate full of food for under $10.00/pp (sometimes it is just at lunch). For instance: Olive Garden has all you can eat salad/bread/soup at lunchtime for $5.95, not including drink. Another good choice is Golden Corral, which is a mega-buffet that has all kinds of meats, veggies, salad, and desert for around $10.00pp.

With the money you save on these meals, you may be able to eat at the more expensive restaurants and still have some money in your pocket.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

I will be visiting Savannah next week so I was reading this post with the hope of getting some insight into the LOCAL restaurants. I do not eat at chains in Baltimore and would not think of eating in a chain in Savannah. You get what you pay for, how do you think chains keep prices low?

When trying to save money, I often go to the fine dining places for lunch instead of dinner. Try ordering two appetizers instead of an entree for dinner. If you can go without an alcoholic beverage and drink water that will save money too.

Thanks to BrianO for the local BBQ tips. Any places locals go for seafood.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
253 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

The best value deal is the Old Pink House for lunch. I think they are closed on Monday for lunch. I glanced at the menu and the most expensive item was $14 with most under $10.

You should also check out Express Cafe for breakfast of lunch. Great food at good prices.

Perry, Iowa
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

Thank you for all of your suggestions. They have been noted. We would rather try local restaurants rather than chain places, since we can eat at those at home.

We really want to have good southern food at reasonable prices. Eating at The Olde Pink House for lunch is a good idea. I had not thought of that because I did not know that they were open for lunch.

We are planning to try:

Kevin Barry’s Irish Pub

Crab Shack (Tybee Island)

Noble Fare

Cafe Ambrosia

Vic's on the River

Belford's Steak and Seafood

The Olde Pink House

What do you think of these places? Thank you again for your suggestions! Laurie

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

Go to Kevin Barry's when there is music. Irish pub songs with lots of sing along, a blast. It is on the left side as you walk in, they put a couple dollars on your tab for the privilege but it is the best deal in town.

Be careful eating though, some of those guys will make you laugh so hard your stew will come out your nose.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

I don't get the crab shack, it is dirty and smelly to me. You are better off at the North Beach grill or Stingrays if you want to eat at the beach.

Perry, Iowa
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the tip about the music at Barry's. I hope there will be someone playing while we are there.

It sounds like a great time!

We will also consider North Beach Grill or Stingrays instead of the Crab Shack.

Laurie

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Value Savannah Restaurants

it's wall's bbq btw, and it's much more than just bbq