We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah Trip Report -- Final Installment (I promise!)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah Trip Report -- Final Installment (I promise!)

Day Three. We decided to leave the city and head out to Tybee. I hadn't been out there in years. We went to Fort Pulaski first, where I remember going as a child. Two park rangers were dressed in Union garb and were giving a talk, along with a gun firing demonstration. It was very informative. We walked around the fort and looked over the island from the top. Too hot to stay up there too long! I was thrilled to find out that a number of young men that were part of the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 30s helped restore the fort. I found a great book in the giftshop on the CCC that I'd never seen before.

For lunch, we went to the Crab Shack. We're not much into boiled seafood but we were hungry and tired. We got the low country boil and some clam chowder. Meal was okay but nothing great. The little kids were really enjoying the live alligators in the lagoon they have. I can imagine the place gets very crowded on weekends.

We then went to the Tybee lighthouse. My husband stayed in the gift shop while I walked the 178 stairs up and back. I must have been nuts but I love lighthouses. The view was beautiful. They've restored the keeper's house and kitchen nicely. Definitely worth a visit. The Tybee museum is included in the ticket price and just across the parking lot, located in the former buildings of Fort Screven. But my calves were killing me so we left.

We then drove down to the Tybee pier and pavillion, which I'd never been to. There were still plenty of families enjoying the beach. I know many people consider it tacky and cheap but I like it because people from all walks of life go there. People were fishing off the pier. We had some ice cream cones and enjoyed the shade of the pavillion. Then we headed back to the hotel.

That night we went to Bella's on Habersham. They serve some really great Italian food, blowing Semolina away. My husband ate every last drop of his fettucine alfredo and I nearly finished my chicken parmesean. The breadsticks were almost like doughnuts because they deep fry the bread. The tiramisu was light and airy, unlike some I've had. Very tasty way to end the meal.

Before heading out the next day, we had breakfast at Clary's. I know it sounds like we own stock in them by now. My malted waffle (made from malt flour) was terrific. My husband got the crabcakes with hollondaise sauce. After having had some near perfect crabcakes at the Olde Pink House, these just couldn't compete. Still, he was happy.

All in all, we had a wonderful time. I saw parts of Savannnah I'd never seen before and the food was fantastic. We hope to go back during a cooler season to do some more walking around the squares. They're really very special.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah Trip Report -- Final Installment (I promise!)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your trip! It sounds like you really had fun. I'm going in October for my anniversary and to Paula's cooking class and I can't wait! I think my first stop will be Clarys for a milkshake. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Murfreesboro, TN
Level Contributor
215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah Trip Report -- Final Installment (I promise!)

Thanks for an indepth report. Enjoyed reading it. Glad to hear you had a great time. We go in 3 weeks time and can't wait. We have friends who live in Richmond Hill just outside Savannah, so we stay with them. I love Savannah it's really special. I too love to go to Tybee for the day while we are there. This time we have booked the night in the De Soto Bed & Breakfast (my friends have stayed there and said it's really nice). Counting the days......

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah Trip Report -- Final Installment (I promise!)

Thanks so much Peachyswan. It is so noce to hear you had a good time and tried or re-did lots of things. I forgot about Bella's! We need to go there soon we used to go almost every week when we lived on the southside.

Thanks again and come back to see us when it is not so hot!