We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafe at City Market ?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Cafe at City Market ?

Hi Everyone,

We recently made a short visit (4 Hours) in Savannah (our fist visit) we took the Trolly Tour and fell in love with your city... We will be back!

My question is this:

We got off the Trolly at Stop # 10 and walked around the City Market. Two of our best spots were a building that served as sort of an Art Studio... where artists rent out space to work. It was 2 floors. The upstairs had several studios... one that was home to a sculpture who does lifesize figures (amazing work), the current work underway is a statue of Johnny Mercer. The building is also home to many other artists that work in other mediums... oils, watercolours, wood, multi-media etc. Is there a name to this building as I would like to write something for the Savannah THINGS TO DO REVIEWS Section.

And secondly, we stopped at a cafe for lunch. I thought it's name was just "Cafe", but I can't find it on TA or online. It had a full-size statue of Marilyn Monroe outside and lots of photos of her inside. Does anyone know the correct name of this cafe, as I would like to do a REVIEW for it also.

Thank you,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafe at City Market ?

I am quite sure it is "City Market Cafe"

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafe at City Market ?

Actually you got it right in the title, it's Cafe At City Market.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafe at City Market ?

Thank you both.

Any thoughts on the Art Studio? I may have a business card somewhere in my paperwork... but I really want to know this spot (as I said it was distinctive because of the Sculptor). The Gallery was closed when we were there on New Year's Day, but I would like to make contact with one or more of the Artists who's work we saw while window shopping.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafe at City Market ?

Here is a link to all the galleries at city market. I think the one you are talking about is City Market Art Center.

http://www.savannahcitymarket.com/art.html

Hope that helps.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafe at City Market ?

Yes, it is indeed the City Market Art Center, mostly second-floor studio-galleries in which artists make and sell their work. The wonderful sculptor is Susie Chisholm. The art center concept was introduced to give artists affordable studio space and a place to sell their work without having to pay large commissions to "outside" galleries.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cafe at City Market ?

Thanks Everyone,

I believe I am now all set to my Reviews. We had a great time visiting your city, and will plan to make a longer visit next time.

TO SAVANNAHMAME,

Bless you for "going the extra" and giving me the name of the Sculptor... Susie Chisholm is indeed a gifted artist, and someone that Savannah should be proud to call one of their own... when we were window shopping the galleries on New Year's Day we were captivated by her talent, the small version of Johnny Mercer on display was fabulous, but the full size work in progress is outstanding... it will no doubt be a great addition to Savannah's landscape.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

7. Re: Cafe at City Market ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 07:19