We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day with a 4 year old?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dayton,ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
One day with a 4 year old?

At the end of march we will be stopping here for one night. On our way to Florida. Our plan is to get in sometime in thee early evening. Eat diner somewhere in town. Then in early morning check out the town for a little bit. Our hotel we are saying at is up on Gateway. I think that is about a half hour to historic area.

I guess my question is one, Where is a good placde to eat dinner at with a 4 year old. Then two, What is a few places we can check out while we our passing through the town??

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

At the Gateway area there is a Cracker Barrel, a Hoolihans, a Shoney's, a Perkins.

There are so many different things to see in the Historic District. My suggestion would be to get an early start, take a trolley tour, and then decide from what you have seen on the tour what you want to go back and see.

Since you are only spending one night, I suspect you will be wanting to leave for Florida by early afternoon to get to your next destination.

Unfortunately, this doesn't leave much time for sightseeing here, but can wet your appetite for a return visit.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

The four year old wont remember what you ate 10 years from now, you will. Get some good seafood or southern food while you are here.

dayton,ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

Southren food sounds great. Anywhere you suggesr? Besides Cracker Barrell

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

You can type that in the search box above your question on the right, it is a common question with lots of suggestions. I would go to Mrs Wilkes (but it is cash only), some prefer Paula Deen's Lady and Sons, but there are several choices in savannah.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

DO spend a couple of hours with your youngster at the ArtZeum at the Jepson Center for the Arts on Telfair Square in the historic district. It's a hand-on children's area (two stories worth!) in our fabulous museum. We have to drag our grandchildren away every time we go to the museum....they'll choose the ArtAeum over Chuckie Cheese's (High praise.)

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

Mrs. Wilkes is not open in the evening. You might like to try Sweet Potatoes for southern food (but not "heavily" prepared) and a kid-friendly atmosphere. Located at Waters Avenue near the corner of Eisenhower. This is not a chain, is thoughtful locally-owned food service. Collards to die for!

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

Should you decide to drive to the historic district from your hotel at I-95 & Hwy. 204 (the Gateway intersection), go north on I-95 to I-16, turn east into Savannah...I-16 will end at Montgomery St, downtown....take your little one to the Pirates' House, an institution here. Reviews are mixed, but to a child, it's always a treat, and I am one of those stubborn believers who enjoys the Southern buffet (lunch, 11:30a.m)...the building is one of the oldest in Savannah, parts of it date to the 1740's or thereabouts, it's rustic and of course, comes with a history of piracy ---it was an old seafarers' tavern...kids are special guests at the Pirates House, so it's worth the drive. To get to the PH, stay on Montgomery when you exit I-16, drive northbound till you reach Bay St. Turn right on Bay (eastbound) till you reach East Broad, and right there you'll see the Pirates House w/ ample free parking. It's also close to the Savannah River & River St., where it's worth spending time watching the container ships coming in & out and browsing the shops. Your little one may enjoy the sandbox which was built like an old fishing boat, right on the riverfront.

Trolley or carriage tours are fun, kids like to see the big horses. But since you will be here in the spring, expect the crowds of tourists.

Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

I agree your little one would like the Pirates House. It's a tourist spot, but you'll be a tourist. :-) You'll find the history interesting. It's close to River Street, so you might want to go see if you get lucky and see a big barge go by. If you like Pizza, Vinnie's in City Market is great. There are shops and your child can see the horses and carriages. I hope you have a nice visit. It's our favorite city.

9. Re: One day with a 4 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 01:20