We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee or Tea

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
133 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee or Tea

My wife and I will be visiting Savannah soon. We're always looking for unique places to stop, sit, snack or read a book.

I found a few places for coffee and tea. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Coffee:

- Gallery Espresso

- Sentient Bean

Tea:

- Gryphon Tea Room

- The Tea Room

I'm interested in recommendations on these...or maybe I overlooked one that I should have considered.

Thanks.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee or Tea

We've been to the Sentient Bean, at the end of the Park a few times and its great- really good food and coffee etc, occasional entertainment I believe. Very cosy, crunchy-granola kind of place.

Madison
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee or Tea

Is this Ice Tea or Hot Tea, or is it both?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
133 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee or Tea

Karrieb-

Thanks for your input on the Sentient Bean. I liked your description.

hermes2009-

I was thinking along the lines of the southern tradition of an "afternoon tea" or attending a "tea." In both of those cases, I believe hot tea is traditionally served. But, I could be way off the mark on this.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee or Tea

Afternoon tea is fun here in Savannah. I've had great times at both Gryphon and Savannah Tea Room. The scenery at the Gryphon, a street-level, former pharmacy is spectacular. It overlooks Madison Square and St. John's Episcopal church, right in the heart of the old city. It's owned and operated by SCAD, the Savannah College of Art and Design. The best seating is inside the windows. Desserts are made on site, scrumptious. However, the service can be spotty. The food and teas and view make up for college-aged scatterbrained servers.

The Savannah Tea Room is on Broughton St. It's too solemn and dark inside for my taste, but the service and menu are excellent. They know their business. It can be difficult to read the menus.

Gallery Espresso is lots of fun and full of local art. A lively crowd inside and out.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
133 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee or Tea

Thanks for the inside info foggybottom. It helps a lot.

6. Re: Coffee or Tea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 10:17