We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip In May -- A Couple Questions

Florence, Kentucky
4 posts
Save Topic
Trip In May -- A Couple Questions

Hey there! First off, I've been scouring the boards for a couple days now, and I want to thank you all for so much wonderful advice. I've already got quite a bit in mind, and am really looking forward to trying out some of the wonderful restaurant recommendations!

This will be my first visit to Savannah. My friend and I will be driving down from Kentucky at the end of May, arriving (hopefully in the early afternoon) on the 26 and leaving sometime on the 29. We've already booked a room at the 1895 Inn based on all its great recommendations, so I'm really looking forward to that! We're both 22, girls, love history, good food, and relaxing, but a little bit of excitement and adventure, too!

First, I'm gonna toss out a few of the ideas I have in mind, and see what y'all think -- if there's anything we should skip or add to the list.

For places to eat: Angel's BBQ, Olde Pink House, Mrs. Wilkes, Jazz'd, Geneva's, SoHo Cafe... I also love visiting tea rooms, so I was thinking about making a reservation at the Savannah Tea Room. We love good food, and are looking for a mix of nice places to eat out, good home-cooked Southern dining, and a few hole-in-the-wall type places with character.

As far as things to do, we're thinking about doing a trolley, walking, or carriage tour, a Haunted Pub Crawl, visiting Bonaventure Cemetary, and just lots of walking around and enjoying the history and scenery. We'd also like to take a half-day to a day to visit Tybee (we'll have a car), see the beach, visit the lighthouse, maybe go to Fort Pulaski and on one of the boat rides to see the dolphins (are there any of these boat rides you'd recommend over the others?).

Now a couple quick questions about other things we had in mind. Neither of us have ever been to a spa, and we thought it'd be a really nice treat to get a massage or manicure or something like that. Are there any good spas that you'd recommend? We don't need anything super fancy, just good service for the price.

Also, my friends loves cooking... I'd heard some good things about cooking classes in the area. Which ones would you recommend and do you think they're a good value for the money?

And last, I worked at a movie theatre for five years and looove the movie business. Now, I don't want to spend all my time in lovely Savannah sitting in a dark theatre, but I do make a point of visiting any old-fashioned or quaint independent theatres in the places I travel to. Are there any like that in Savannah? And along the same lines, we love live theatre, too, if there's anything like that you'd suggest.

Sorry for rambling on soooo much -- can you tell I'm excited?! I really appreciate any advice or input.

-Shannon

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip In May -- A Couple Questions

A must while in Savannah is taking a cooking class at the Mansion on Forsyth, at its 700 Drayton Cooking School...it's the #1 activity, for good reason.

Book your spa indulgence at Savannah Day Spa. It's one block west of the 1895 Inn, on Oglethorpe Ave. You can walk there in about 3 minutes from the inn. Go online to see the spa menu & make your reservations.

Savannah has had a lot of movies filmed in and around the city. Take the Savannah Movie Tour with Hollywood Ron Higgins to learn more.

Hope this is a start.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip In May -- A Couple Questions

We do have the Lucas theater, just north of Broughton, on Abercorn. It closed after showing The Exorcist on it's original run (mid 1970'S?)and just reopened a few years ago. It is now a performance theater mostly but occasionally movies are shown there and it is worth seeing inside.

http://www.scad.edu/venues/lucas/history.html

Also there are often whacky movies shown at the Sentient Bean, a coffee shop at the south end of Forsyth park. I know it's not a theater but it's something!

http://www.sentientbean.com/

FYI, I think the dolphin tours leave from River Street, not Tybee.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip In May -- A Couple Questions

I've heard that the cooking classes - and subsequent eating! - at Chef Joe Randall's are far more satisfying (and the food more authentic and delicious) than those at The Mansion. Depends, I think, on whether you want upmarket (Mansion) or down-home (Chef Joe.). Re theatre: go to Savannahnow.com and look for the theater activities that will be on offer while you're here. Lots of good stuff happening in the local theatre scene this time of year.

Florence, Kentucky
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip In May -- A Couple Questions

Thank you all so much for the help! We're really looking forward to the trip, and your suggestions will definitely come in handy.

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip In May -- A Couple Questions

This is a bit late, but here are my thoughts:

Restaurants - I have not heard of Geneva's, but the other choices are all great! Angel's has the best BBQ downtown, the Olde Pink House is a wonderfully romantic restaurant, Jazz'd is great for live entertainment, and Soho is the perfect spot for lunch. I would also recommend Il Pasticcio, Local 11 Ten, and Cha Bella. Would also recommend Elizabeth's on 37th, but it's extremely expensive.

Spa - would definitely recommend the Vanilla Day Spa. It's on Broughton near Bull.

If you like movies, go to Leopold's ice cream. It's owned by a famous movie producer Stratton Leopold, and has a lot of fun things to see.

6. Re: Trip In May -- A Couple Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Savannah
Recent Conversations