We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Restaurants

Florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Restaurants

Me again! I hope the separate posts aren't confusing or annoying, but I'm covering several topics! I would love to hear what restaurants are well liked.

I guess Old Pink House is recommended?

What about Paula Dean's? Is it super fatty type food?Is she ever there during the week?

We love exotic food, but anywhere that is clean and has flavorful, fresh food is great. Atmosphere, is a bonus. Also, is casual attire accepted everywhere? are shorts even okay or are jeans or even dressy attire required anyplace? All recommendations are appreciated! Thanks again!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Restaurants

We always include the Olde Pink House in our plans when we're in Savannah--partly because of the ambience and partly because of the good food. For a romantic dinner for two, request a window table overlooking Reynolds Square. We've never been disappointed.

The Savannah Tea Room, The Gryphon Tea Room and Vic's on the River are among our favorites for lunch. Mrs. Wilkes is also great for lunch if you're hungry for lots to eat and southern cooking.

We discovered Huey's down on River Street after seeing the movie "The Gingerbread Man" which is set in Savannah and mostly filmed there. Huey's is prominent in the movie while the hurricane is on the way. It's a fun place for breakfast, as is Clary's on Abercorn.

Actually, we dress a bit on the dressy side at the restaurants just mentioned, but we are a bit older and that's our comfort level. You really can't go wrong being a bit dressy at dinner in almost every restaurant. Can't help you with The Lady and Sons--haven't been there.

Good luck with your plans. Enjoy Savannah!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Restaurants

try the bbq and many side dishes at walls bbq. it's excellent

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Restaurants

Clary's is filthy, I would not recommend it. Last time I ate there it made me ill. My tablemate had to return his meal as he discovered that his plate was not clean ---it had old food stuck to it. Th Cobblestone Cafe on River St. is another no-no. Poor service.

For breakfast: J. Christopher's, Belfords at City Market, Huey's, Express Cafe to name a few winners.

Paula Deen does not work at the Lady and Sons, so don't go there thinking she's in the kitchen. She's there in name only. Lady and Sons is a canned-food tourist trap. The food is heavy on salt and swimming in fat, not the real Southern cooking you can enjoy elsewhere. Another caveat: before being seated, tourists are sent through the gift shop on their way to the restaurant! Once seated, you must rush through your meal so your table can be turned over for more people.

Have a real Southern experience at Mrs. Wilkes, the Olde Pink House,17Hundred90, or Vic's on the River for lunch.

Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Restaurants

I, being a tourist myself agree 100% with Foggybottom. You can not go wrong with all the eateries he advised. By all means do not waste your money on "The lady and Sons" She does not work there. It is run by the Sons. I think of Savannah as a "very" tourist town and casual wear very acceptable, even though I am in my seventies. Maybe it is because I live in Florida and it is so hot, and it is just as hot in Savannah in summer.

Florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Restaurants

Thank you all: Zelda1920, BBGMan, Foggybottom, Mollybud Florida and everyone for your suggestions. I guess we'll do Olde pink House, maybe Jazz'd, and Angels BBQ, or Saphire Grill, poss. Vic's or 10-11, both The Tearoom and Gryphon Tearoom sound fun too and Wilkes. We have breakfast covered by our Inn. Any recommended Praline or Ice Cream places? What about good deli sandwiches? Thanks again!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Restaurants

I definitely recommend Jazz'd...the food was wonderful!! For icecream, we loved Leopold's and the gelato place in City Market was good too. For deli sandwiches, we had lunch one afternoon at Express Cafe and Bakery and loved that as well. We also ate at the Olde Pink House and 17Hundred90 on our trip and would recommend those as well. Actually, we enjoyed every meal we had :)

Have a fabulous trip.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Restaurants

If I were going to Vic's or Pink house, particularly on a weekend for dinner, I would only wear shorts if they were very nice, and a nice linen-ish shirt.

There may be people there in Budweiser T-shirts and flip-flops, but why contribute to that?

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Restaurants

Neither Vic's nor the Olde Pink House would welcome anyone attired in flip flops, ripped shorts and a Budweiser shirt. However, that's what the average tourist is wearing at Lady and Sons, plus a fanny pack embroidered with, "I'm With Stupid".

Most restaurants are casual on River St., but Vic's is more upscale than the average place down there. If you pack tailored linen Bermuda length shorts and a crisp oxford shirt, or an outfit of similar design, then I would expect you to be seated at Vic's.

Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Restaurants

Foggybottom, I agree with you once again on dress code. When I said "casual", I did not have in mind flip flops and t-shirts with designs or ads. Casual in like nice knee lenght shorts or pants. No shorts hanging on the hips with skin showing. Nice sandals or boat shoes for men. No jeans, for upscale resturants.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Restaurants

Foggy,

Your killing me have you thought of writing for Jay Leno? I love the part about the fanny pack LOL HAHA almost brought me to tears I was laughing so hard!I guess if the truth hurts wear it! :)

Gardeniafairy,

To me Savannah is not just known for its Southern food aka fried chicken and such. But, you are in the middle of a seafood area when I am in Town I always eat seafood their and St Augustine is where I have had the best. And as my friend BBQman said BBq is pretty good in some places . Its sort of like going to a Italian restaurant and ordering sushi. I always stick with what a area ( Location) is I mean just kick the dirt and you can get water if I am not mistaken its on all sides ( sort of)so when there is water hence comes seafood.