We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

On the spur of the moment I have decide to visit Savannah with my mother and sister in tow for a mother day get away. We will arrive Friday and leave Monday. So the big first decision did we want to waste valuable time standing in line to get into The Lady and Sons. Lo and Behold I noticed on the resturants website that on special holidays and (mother's day is one of them) that parties with less than 10 people can make a reservation. So I called today and on Mother Day we will be dinning at the Lady and Sons without standing in line early in the morning. And yes I know there are alot of people that think the resturant is just a tourist trap, but we all want to eat there and then decide for our selves and at least we will not have wasted valuable sight seeing time just trying to get our name on a list for later in the day.

Just in case you will be in Savannah on Mother's Day thought this might be helpful to someone.

It is my first time to Savannah I cannot wait.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Lady & Sons
Lady & Sons
9,266 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Joe's Homemade Cafe
££ - £££, American, Cafe, Soups
Chive Sea Bar & Lounge
££ - £££, American, Seafood, Fusion
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

Just tell the girls outside that you want to sit in the bar area and they'll seat you right away. This is what most locals and people that have been here numerous times do. They'll send you right up to the top floor. Just don't go advertising it to everyone out loud if you're waiting outside in a crowd. Also make sure everyone in your party is with you because they won't wait for others to park or arrive.

Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

Good luck on having reservations! We had reservations and still waited and hour and a half. I would never go there again. The food and the price were not worth it. "Miss Welks" is mcuh better.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

Be warned: for big holiday Sundays where "reservations" are taken over the phone, you will eventually be seated close to your time but expect to be rushed through your meal so your table can be turned over to accomodate another party.

If I was taking my mother our for Mother's Day, I would do better than Lady and Sons. I couldn't take her to a tourist trap.

Mentioned in this post
Lady & Sons
Lady & Sons
9,266 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

Beginnertraveler,

PLEASE read the posts here and the reviews look how low the restaurant is ( L/Son) as compared to all the rest . I have been their 3 times on one vacation and it was a horror story... not what you might call Southern Hospitality . And even when I was invited back ( for free mind you the third time after all the issues the manager? told me just tell them your name and you WILL NOT HAVE TO WAIT ? Sure right you got any lotto numbers?

And like you I was pulled into the Food Network Paula (trap) . I hear now she has furniture with her name so lets see bacon ,ham , cook ware, books ,I think I saw a DVD somewhere. Magazines,I am sure I missed some other things to me she better make as much money as she can . Or maybe she needs to go back to the restaurant

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

So I visited L&S and don't regret doing so. We got in without waiting after asking the host (2nd day, not 1st on Monday who ignored us) if we could get seated. In spite of being asked if we would sit on the bar stools and agreeing, we were still seated at a table.

Would I stand in line to visit the restauarant? No. But I would go again.

However I do believe that citizens of Savannah have a problem with Paula and her fame. I have read posts where she was slammed by joanino)(?) because she had an affair with someone whose position waa namned as an engineer. Though I can make opinion with visiting a restaruant, how can I trust others who have a personal vendetta?

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

I ate at the Lady & Sons this past Saturday while in Savannah on a Girl's Weekend. It was wonderful. My friend stood in the reservation line at 9am for about 40 minutes and got a reservation for 6pm. We arrived at the Hostess stand at 6:00 and were asked to go inside and wait to be called. We waited about 10 minutes and we were seated. I thought that was pretty good, especially for a Saturday night. We both got the buffet and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a lot of great items, a salad bar and a small dessert for $13.99. Can't beat that! The food was outstanding! Would go there everytime I am in Savannah (and I am not a Paula Deen freak).

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

CarolinaMom,

I am glad that you had a great meal I for one have been there 3 times in a 2 week period and well... you can read the review for yourself ... 1st standing in line nearly 4 hours then eating terrible burnt chicken and sides that where just so so...

Then asked to come back and I would not have to wait in line nor pay ( which I did wait in line.... AGAIN then nearly had the police called yes... because, the managers did not speak with each other and the one I spoke with could not be reached Yes The Hi Ya'll Ladys Place on the TV well... of course she was not there.

Then invited for dinner about 4 days later because, of all the problems ordered off the menu upstairs ( in the bar) sorry like I said glad you had a good meal the 3 I had from 1-5 average score was a 2 ( I am being nice).

To me 3 strikes and your out.

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

That stinks you had so many problems. The night we were there (Saturday night) they were busy but very organized. I didn't see anyone with problems. Things do happen and unfortunately you got more than your fair share of problems. If someone has never been, I would definately go. I is great southern cooking!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

I did the Foodie Tour. One of the stops is LNS. It is great because you get a container and get to go straight to the buffet, and you can fill your container with what you want. Between my mom and me we tasted everything we wanted to. Basically we tasted salt, salt, salt, and grease. But I am glad we got to go, with zero waiting in line.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Lady and Sons/Stand in Line

I forget about the Foodie Tour sometimes, but you're right, it is great because you get a little taste of different restaurants and if you really like it, you can go back for a full meal.