We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah "Must Do's"

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah "Must Do's"

My husband and I will be in Savannah next month to celebrate our anniversary. We would really appreciate your suggestions on which things we "must do" and which are overrated. We'll be in the area for 5 nights/4 days.

We would also really like to know which restaurant you recommend that we celebrate our anniversary at. We don't necessarily need anything fancy but would like someplace that consistently delivers great food, wonderful service (without being stuffy), and a nice atmosphere. A nice wine list couldn't hurt either.

Thank you so much!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah "Must Do's"

My husband and I spent our anniversary in Savannah in August. We had a great time. We ate at the Olde Pink House and it was fantastic. It's situated on a lovely square. The waiter was good but he wasn't in our faces all the time. After dinner, we sat in the square and watched the moon rise.

Two of my favorite things about Savannah are the Owens- Thomas House and Fort Pulaski out on Tybee. Those are definitely worth a visit.

The locals can tell you much more than I can, though.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah "Must Do's"

We have always had our anniversary dinners at The Chart House which has a balcony overlooking River St or Garibaldi's which is near City Market both have very good food and excellent service but neither is "stuffy" at all.

As far as "must do's" I would agree with Peachyswan about Ft Pulaski and I would add to be sure to take a leisurely stroll from Bay St to Park Avenue down Bull Street. You will see so much if you take your time and sit in the squares. Then you can see our famous mail order fountain. You will see why so many who visit here move here or at least come back over and over.

Also spend enough time at River Street to get to watch a ship full of containers go by, I have seen it a hundred times and am in awe every time.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah "Must Do's"

BTW Peachyswan, Pulaski is not on Tybee, it is on Cockspur Island. It was attacked from Tybee when it surrendered in the "recent unpleasentness". :)>

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah "Must Do's"

You're right, Brian O! Already my brain cells are letting go of what I learned at Pulaski. D'oh!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah "Must Do's"

Four days will do nicely. You won't have to push yourself to see things. Check out the Ships of the Sea Museum. The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is beautiful. If they aren't having a wedding or a funeral, the doors are opened for visitors.

Skip the Mercer House. That's the one that was made famous by the book and Movie "Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil. They don't want to talk about it, you don't get to see much and it isn't being kept up well. I think it's 13 bucks.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah "Must Do's"

Check out this for October:

http://www.savcvb.com/calendar/october.shtml

If you are here for Oktobefest, it's on River Street and loads of music, food and fun. The Picnic in the Park is great too.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Savannah "Must Do's"

Thank you everyone! I need all the help I can get as I would like this to be a very memorable vacation!

quitman, ga
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Savannah "Must Do's"

Try the Crab Shack on Tybee Island for great seafood in a very relaxed fun atmosphere. You can sit outside and watch the sun set over the marshes. I would skip the Pirate's House restaurant. The pralines at Savannah Sweets on River Street are the best! Also, great food at The Lady and Sons a very famous casual buffet restaurant in the City Market area. The horse and carriage ghost tours which leave from the City Market are a fun way to see the sights. Have a great time!!