We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tadagyrl
3 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

Hello,

I will be in the Savannah area within the next few days and i am looking for a hometown favorite "Fried Crabs". I am hoping that someone will be able to help me locate the best fried crabs in the area. I would like to think that Virginia is not the only place that they are made. Thank you all

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

You may be able to find fried soft shell crabs somewhere in Savannah, but the usual is crab stew, crab cakes, crab chowder, steamed crab, everything but fried.

The Crab cake is the crab meat formed into patties and fried. Is that what you were thinking of?

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

I was about to add that in Savannah we usually boil crabs unless they're in soup, but Aileen beat me to the punch as usual. :-)

Tadagyrl
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

Thank You again for your reply. I was looking for fried blue crabs, and no i am not looking for crab cakes, althought they are a fave, too. They are not what I want right now. I take it that the only place that I can get Fried Blue Crabs will be in the Cheaspeake Bay area in Virginia.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

Tadagyrl,

I understood exactly what you where talking about soft shelled crab fried . I had a fried crab sandwich on a visit to Maryland very very tasty .

Correct me if I am wrong soft shelled crab are crabs that are what I call molting when they out grow their shell they leave it to grow another one.

Now I am not a fisherman but,I do know that this happens at only certain times of the year and I do know that crabs that are found in the warmer waters in the Savannah area are different than the ones up ( lets say North I know that Virginia is not much north but, where they are getting the crabs may be) so... that may have something to do with it.

I heard one time that crabs can be caught ( commercially )at certain times of the year it may be a Florida thing but, maybe not .

Otherwise there would be not a reason why in a place where seafood is abundant that they would not have soft shell crabs for you and my enjoyment and others !

Do hope you find another seafood dish that you will enjoy and let us know about your visit .

Tadagyrl
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

Thank you jleetw1 for your reply.

To answer you question, I'm not sure of the process of how soft shell crabs come to be soft..... There not my cup of tea....lol

Go to Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft-shell_...

Back home in Virginia blue crabs are known to be in season in the warmer months. However, with the weather being much warmer here I was hoping that they would be available NOW!!!!!!

I also notice that they are referred to as "Deep Fried Crabs" on the internet. Whereas back home they are known just as fried crabs.

For those that may be just a little curious as to what I was referring to as fried crabs. They are hard shelled blue crab, which was cleaned by having the top shell, guts, and glory removed. Then they are dipped in a thick batter and deep fried. They are normally enjoyed with hot sauce, vinegar, old bay, or cocktail sauce.

The batter is what makes them soo great.

The next time you are in the Chesapeake Bay area in the warmer months check them out, you will not be disappointed . Your Doctor may be. lol

6. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 19:47
Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

I have had Fried soft shell crabs before in Savannah. I am not show who serves them but they are there to be had. The thing with the soft shell crab is it molts at a given phase of the moon. So they are not available everyday. My brother before he died would get some every month from a friend of his who was a commericial crabber. He would select the ones which appeared ready to molt and place them in holding tanks. When they molted he would prep them and ice them for the market. This required keeping a watch on them hourly for a couple of days. Once they molt their new shells will harden up really quick.

Now if ou like the deep fried soft shell crab you need to try them baked. Use some butter, old bay and garlic and bake them up. Once you do that you will have another way to enjoy them.

Come to think about it I am ready for some hot boiled one now.

John

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

John,

Please stop the torture!!!

9. Re: Looking for Fried Crabs in Savannah,Ga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 03:28