We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah Trip Review (long and detailed!)

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah Trip Review (long and detailed!)

THE 1895 INN:

My husband I stayed in The 1895 Inn for our first wedding anniversary in the beginning of May. We had an absolutely fantastic time! We stayed in the Renaissance Room, and loved it. We did get to see all of the other rooms, and we think we definitely got the best room!!! The bathroom in this room is newly renovated with a beautiful tile floor, and shower that has two shower heads! There is also an adorable little porch off of the bedroom that has a bistro table with two chairs. We loved sitting on the porch in the early evening after the sun had gone down! The Renaissance Room is the only room with a porch. I do feel obligated to say that there is quite a bit of street noise that can be heard from this room. It would be ideal to not have the noise, but we would stay in the room again in a heart beat! The street noise is a small minus compared to all the fantastic things about this place!

Some of the fantastic things:

1) Ed and Robert were great!! Absolutely every detail was perfect. The house was impeccable, with no detail over looked. There is a lot of original artwork (including an original Picasso) and beautiful antiques which make the house unique.

2) The breakfast was amazing. Home cooked gourmet breakfast served on china and crystal every morning at 9am.

3) You have your own key, so you may come and go as you please. We never saw anyone else except for at breakfast!

4) The location of the 1895 Inn is awesome! Smack in the middle of the historic district, it is easy walking distance from everywhere.

5) The price of the 1895 Inn was less that a lot of the other B&Bs I looked at, yet, I cannot imagine anywhere being better.

6) On top of a gourmet breakfast every morning, Ed will also help you plan out your day! He gives everyone a map, and will mark on your map everywhere that you are interested in visiting. They also have sodas and water available all the time for anyone who wants them. At 5pm they have a wine tasting, with a red and a white, and at 9pm Ed sets out chocolate cake. When we got home from a busy day, we found our bed made and turned down for us, and new towels etc, with chocolate candies in our bedroom. What more could you want?!?

To sum it all up, our first experience in a bed and breakfast was great, thanks to the 1895 Inn! My husband has said that he will never stay in a hotel again! :-)

THE COOKING SCHOOL AT 700 DRAYTON

My husband and I took part in Chef Darin's Southern Style Cooking Class. I had surprised my husband with it (because he loves to cook!) We had a great time! First off, the kitchen is beautiful! The class starts with Chef Darin asking for volunteers to help get everything started. He teaches lots of new techniques and skills! (On that note, I wanted to add in that my husband considers himself a gourmet chef, and still learned things from the class, but it would be suited for a beginner as well!) Everyone takes part in the knife skills portion of the class, where we chopped up everything that we needed for the meal. Our menu was shrimp & grits with red-eye gravy, fried green tomatoes, cheddar something biscuits, black bean salad and a fantastic cake. You get to eat the food after the class is over, and it was FANTASTIC!! Oh my god, it was good! You definitely do NOT need dinner reservations that night!

SAVANNAH DAY SPA

The morning of our anniversary, we went to the Savannah Day Spa (which happens to be 1 block away from the 1895 Inn). We booked couples massages, which were fantastic! They used heated beds, hot oils, and hot towels! VERY relaxing! Although, the best part of the spa was the Hydro Lounge!! We booked an hour in the Hydro Lounge after our massages, and I'm so glad we did! It was a super romantic private room, with the lights dimmed, and a jacuzzi tub with a waterfall type thing. They had candles lit all over the room, and mimosas, fresh fruit, crackers, cheeses, and chocolates set out for us. There was also a steam room, and two rain showers. It was the perfect end to a great morning at the spa!!

DOLPHIN MAGIC TOUR:

We really enjoyed the Dolphin Magic boat tour! First, it was really neat to see Savannah from a boat. It was also very hot the day we went out, so it was great to be on the water with a nice breeze! We sat in the shaded part of the boat, so it was really a pleasant trip out and back! Our boat was only about half full, which was great! I can imagine that it would be annoying if the tour was completely booked, because the boat is not that big! Our captain and tour guide were very fun, and we saw lots of dolphins!! The swam by the boat, and surfed in our waves! We even saw some dolphins mating! It was really, really cool! My husband was hesitant to take the trip, but we ended up having a great time, and are really glad that we got to experience it!!

CREEPY CRAWL HAUNTED PUB TOUR

I rated the Creepy Crawl Haunted Pub Tour a 3 star, because it was fun, but not awesome. Our tour guide was not Greg (the one that everyone says is great). Greg could not lead the tour, so one of his other people did. It was neat to walk around the town (it was the only walking tour we did ) and hear some history as well as ghost stories. We ordered a beer at each pub, which was fun, but we only got to go to 3 (the 4th was unexpectedly closed). The last bar (Moon River) was my favorite. By this time, I was pretty buzzed, and we got to go in the creepy basement and sit down while we were told a ghost story about the place! Our tour guide was very friendly and knowledgeable, but honestly, he was only part entertaining. He also had something wrong with his leg, so he had to walk very slow. I thought that it was odd they would have someone who had trouble walking leading a walking tour. The tour wasn't really scary, more like historical, but it was definitely still fun. I would recommend it if you have some spare time, but it's not a must.

CITY MARKET

City Market is a pedestrian street with a bunch of stores. A lot of local artists have stores here. We thought it was really neat to walk around and glance through all the shops. We also just took some time to sit and people watch!

THE OLDE PINK HOUSE

We ate at the Olde Pink House for our one really nice dinner out while in Savannah. I can honestly say that I was kind of disappointed. I had read a lot of great reviews about it, but I just don't think the food was that good. The restaurant itself is located on a cute little square. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful. For an appetizer, I ordered the she-crab soup, which was excellent (although it was only luke-warm). For dinner, I ordered their signature dish ( the crispy scoured flounder). I was nervous about the dish, because it is a bone-in fish (but the head is cut off). The waitress taught me how to eat it without getting bones, which was actually pretty neat, and worked well. The problem was that my fish was VERY dry. The taste of the sauce was very good, so I imagine that if it had not been overcooked, then I would have really enjoyed the dish. My husband ordered the lamb, which he said was very good, but not better than anything we could find at home. For dessert I ordered the praline basket with ice cream and fresh fruit, which was fantastic! Overall, our bill was over $100 (without drinks), so I was disappointed in the average food.

CASBAH MOROCCAN RESTAURANT

We decided to try Casbah because we love Moroccan food and we heard this place was really cool! It did not disappoint! The atmosphere is great! You sit on low tables, and they wash your hands for you, and then you eat with your hands! You can request silverware if you want to, but its way more fun to do it the traditional way! There are belly dancers that do several shows as well. We ordered the 3 course meal each, which was a really good deal! For an appetizer, we both ordered the cornish hen bastilla, which was awesome! (Boneless cornish hen mixed with onions, parsley, spiced eggs and toasted almonds, in a philo dough pastry, baked and garnished with cinnamon and powdered sugar). For the entree, I ordered the chicken and carmelized apricots and loved it! (Marinated and grilled boneless butterflied chicken breast, dipped in a honey-nutmeg sauce,caramelized apricots, roasted almonds and sesame seeds. Served with saffron rice and garnish). My husband ordered the lamb with carmelized apricots and also thought it was fantastic! We also ordered a side a cous cous, which is a must! For dessert we both ordered the special (I can't remember what it was called), but honestly, we were so full I couldn't really enjoy it. I wish I would have ordered some baklava to go! Overall, it was a very neat experience with great food!

VIC'S ON THE RIVER

We went to Vic's On the River for lunch one day, and I thought it was great! It has a prime location right on River St. We sat on a table that was next to the window and overlooked the river, so it was a great place to watch the boats go by. I ordered the fried green tomato BLT, and really liked it! (with goat cheese and sun-dried tomato pesto on toasted sourdough) My husband ordered the House Smoked Pulled Pork & Beef Brisket with peach BBQ and collard greens, and he really liked it as well! It was a tad bit pricey for lunch ($9 for my BLT and $11 for the pulled pork & brisket) but it really was worth it!

ONE EYED LIZZY'S

We went for drinks at One Eyed Lizzy’s and sat on one of their private balconies (they have balconies that only have one table that overlook the river). It was really nice to relax and watch the river and people walking below us. The drinks are really good too!! If you like shooters, they are only $1. For us, we ordered some frozen fruity drinks that were awesome!

JAZZ'D

We tried to go to Jazz’d one night, but did not have reservations, and it was slammed, so we ended up turning around and leaving. It looked really cool, so I would definitely like to make reservations and go there for the tapas and live music next time we go back to Savannah!

Overall we had an absolutely fabulous time in Savannah! We loved every minute of it! Remember to wear walking shoes (tons and tons of walking in this city!!) and enjoy!!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah Trip Review (long and detailed!)

Sarahnwill,

Loved reading your delightful trip report! You've made me very homesick for Savannah with your descriptions of the places, food and events you enjoyed. Glad you had a great first wedding anniversary--hope you have many more!

USA
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah Trip Review (long and detailed!)

We went to Jazz'd on a Monday evening (no live music) and not many people were there, which was nice because we wanted a quick lite meal. We shared three plates and thought it was great.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah Trip Review (long and detailed!)

Thanks Zelda! I hope we have many more too :-)

About Jazz'd, we were there on a night that had live music, which is probably why it was so busy! I can't remember what night it was though?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah Trip Review (long and detailed!)

Was your guide on the Haunted Pub Tour named Robbie?

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah Trip Review (long and detailed!)

OSUBucks- I can't remember what his name was... sorry about that :-(

6. Re: Savannah Trip Review (long and detailed!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 06:22