We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

I m flying into Atlanta from the U.K. I want to do a 15 night tour. I thought of the following, Atlanta 1 night,Columbia 2 nights,Wilmington 1 night, Beaufort nc 2 nights,Charleston 3 nights, Hilton head 3 nights and finally Savannah 3 nights. I understand this is alot of changes but want to see as much as possible( I have visited Atlanta before so that`s just a stopover).

Am i missing anywhere that i should see? Or any other ideas would be appreciated.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

I don't think you want to stuff any more stops in there!

That will be fun, a whirlwind tour of the American deep south.

All I would say is stay off the freeways, take back roads, you will see a lot more.

When are you coming?

We will be glad to help you with where to stay and all that, while you are in Savannah.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

Wooo, sounds like you have enought on your plate so my question is are you allowing yourself enough time to breathe and enjoy where you are? Yes, you should "see" where you are which means slow down, watch what's happening around you, breathe the smells from the restaurants, enjoy the meals there bite for bite, watch the waves come in and out while the birds run on the wonderful coastline of Georgia, walk along the streets and enjoy the history, listen to the wonderful Southern accents, appreciate the hospitality of the locals, etc. OK, I'll stop now, I just worry when people plan so ,so many stops rather than say that they want to appreciate where they are. I'm sure that's your plan, just take your foot off the accelorator and breathe the air of the South

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

Sounds reasonable, though I'm curious about whether there's something in particular you'd want to see in Columbia to spend two nights there and only one in Wilmington.

If you're consciously sticking to the coastal areas, that's cool, but if you haven't been up into the mountains I'd say there's a case to be made for altering your itinerary to head to western North Carolina from Atlanta before heading east to the coast. Asheville's about four hours from the Atlanta airport, and if you take I-985 then US 441/US 74 then I-40, it's a very scenic drive -- you can even take the first segment of the Blue Ridge Parkway if you're not in a hurry. There's enough to see and do in the area that if you can manage to steal a few nights from Columbia, Beaufort, or Hilton Head and spend a couple of days in the area you'd have no trouble filling up the time, and you'd see a very different and gorgeous part of the southeastern US.

There's a very strong Scottish historical presence in the Southern Appalachian Mountains -- there are Highland Games annually in several spots, and there's a Scottish Tartans Museum in Franklin, NC (http://www.scottishtartans.org/), which is where you'd leave US 441 and turn onto US 74 to head east to Asheville. Of course, you might also feel like it'd be daft to fly across the ocean to see that sort of stuff.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

I second the mountains and Asheville. Heres how I would split up your time.

1. 6 nights in Asheville/Smokey Mountain area.

2. 6 nights in Charleston/Beach area of South Carolina.

3. 3 nights in Savannah area.

Wilmington is a nice area but to far out of the way from the other areas I suggested.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

Is there a reason why you are visiting Columbia? There's so much more to choose from. I would definitely try to see some of the mountains of Georgia or North Carolina versus Columbia. If it were me unless there as a major reason you were going to Beaufort & Wilmington, I would skip that part & do the mtns since you will be in Hilton Head, Charleston & Savannah. You also visit Tybee Island while in Savannah. Also, Beaufort, SC is a great place to visit when are in Hilton Head. If you drove from Atlanta to Asheville and then went Asheville to Charleston, you would be driving through Columbia. This is just a suggestion from a local Carolinan. Asheville is lovely.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I will most certainly look at all the options. We are open to all ideas as we have simply come up with our plan out of a U.S map! I will spend some time looking at the places you have mentioned as we are not travelling until the first week in August. Many thanks to all of you.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

When i am reading travelling books in the U.K the issue of street crime keeps coming up for Savannah. These problems do not get a mention for any of the other Cities in the area. Is it fair to say Savannah would be the place to take the most care in or is it similar to other cities in the world where the crime is isolated to certain areas? I understand as with anywhere normal precautions are needed but is it a more serious problem?

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

I agree i would definitely head up to the mountains. Asheville, Gatlinburg, TN, The Great Smokey Mountain National Park

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

I don't think Savannah is any better or worse than anywhere else. The locals understand the value of tourism to their economy and do as much as they can to keep people safe so folks will keep coming. Just take precautions the same as you would in any other large city.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in Georgia and the Carolinas

>> If you're consciously sticking to the coastal areas, that's cool, but if you haven't been up into the mountains I'd say there's a case to be made for altering your itinerary to head to western North Carolina from Atlanta before heading east to the coast. <<

I concur. Spending all your time along the coast is fine if that's really what interests you, but barring a particular interest in the Tidewater, splitting time between the mountains and the sea might be a good idea. If you want a complete cross section of the southern Appalachians I recommend beginning by swinging up to Chattanooga, maybe even the first night if you're flight doesn't come in too late. In Chattanooga you've got some nice scenery, the Tennessee River, and major Civil War history (largest military park and second largest C.W. battle). Then you could take the Cherohala Skyway across into the western North Carolinian mountains, spending time in Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests and maybe dipping into Great Smoky Mountains National Park at Deep Creek, Oconaluftee, or Cataloochee. From there you could take the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville, and from there head to a couple destinations on the coast.