We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah Best inexpensive place to stay in late October

Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah Best inexpensive place to stay in late October

I am traveling with my seventy year young mother in late October and plan to be in Savannah on the 23 and 24th. Suggestions on reasonable accomodations, thing to see in the area, and areas to avoid. thanks

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah Best inexpensive place to stay in late October

If you will have a car then your best bet for an inexpensive hotel is near the airport or on the southside of town. Please look at the hotels tab on this site to see what you can find. Either location puts you 15-20 minutes from the Historic district. It is nice to stay right downtown to walk through the squares and see the sites but it is more expensve.

Be sure to walk south on Bull street from Bay to Forsyth park if your mom is up to it, it gives you a great feel for the square, the beautiful houses and the general feel of Savannah.

Ft Pulaski is a beautiful example of a pre civil war fort and has a nice little museum and video and rooms restored to represent the period.

Tour a house or two in the historic district, those that have been turned into museums have interesting histories and nicely represent the architecture, furnishings and decorating of their respective periods.

The visitors center is right on MLK near where I-16 ends so that would be a good place to start.

As far as areas to avoid, if you are not out late and don't get too far east or west of Bull street you should be just fine.

Enjoy, and welcome! :)>

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
253 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah Best inexpensive place to stay in late October

Some great hotel deals can be found on Abercorn Street just south of Derenne Ave. From that intersection you are about 10 minutes from the historic district. Buses are $1.25 each way if you are concerned about finding a parking place. Bus #14 run about 18 hours a day. www.catchacat.org

Great long term meters can be found at the far east end of Bay Street. $3 gets you 10 hours of shaded parking. Can be a 10 minute walk to get to the main section of the historic district

On the Trip Advisor column to your left you will find Extended Stay, Fairfield and LaQuinta. Extended Stay has a kitchenette and you are near a Publix and a Fresh Market. I think it is going for $59 per night. I put some relatives up at the LaQuinta a few weeks ago and they are still speaking to me.

On the other hand, I have heard of some great deals on Priceline at The River Street Inn and the Westin going for $99 per night. The Hampon Inn - historic district has been going for $110 during the season. If a Sr's discount you may be able to get in under $100 per night.

Enjoy Savannah

Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah Best inexpensive place to stay in late October

Thank you for your help. I am very excited about visiting your lovely city. It' been on my travel wish list for years.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah Best inexpensive place to stay in late October

You might want to stop by the visitor's center downtown to pick up some brochures and arrange a trolley tour of the historic area. That's a nice way to get an overview of the city. While you're there, you can also pick up an $8 visitor's parking pass that lasts for two days. It allows you to park in a lot of metered areas and city-owned garages all day. We found it very helpful.

Also, some of the brochures have coupons in them for pralines at River Street Sweets or a discount at Clary's restaurant. My husband and I went to Clary's (both locations) three times while we were there and loved it. Affordable and tasty. They make a great chocolate milk shake!

We stayed at the Baymont on Abercorn and it was $65 a night. It was okay, nothing great. The free breakfast was good. Next time, I'd like to try the LaQuinta instead. The ride from that area into the historic district isn't bad, about 15 minutes.