We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

My adult daughter and I are are visiting Savannah for the first time, the middle of October. We will be staying in the Historic Area and will have 4 full days to visit Savannah. I have been doing research and am getting a little overwhelmed on all the interesting things to see and places to eat!

Can anyone advise us on the "not to be missed" sites and tours? And what you consider the best restaurants? We love all kinds of food!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is a must. Also, if you have access to a car, get directions to Bonaventure Cemetery.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

I definitely recommend doing a ghost tour. Ghosts & Gravestones is good as you get to go inside the Sorrel Weed House. If you love good ghost tours, then I would recommend doing another one probably a walking tour. I would also look at doing a walking tour with Bobby Davis or Savannah Dan. You have 4 full days as that is awesome. If you're not used to walking, I would prepare myself ahead of time and start walking some every day. Walking is the best way to see everything.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

Well just walking around is the best thing going. Start on Bull Street at Bay and go all the way to Forsyth Park, that's a good introduction to Savannah. Try to eat one lunch at Mrs Wilkes, that's the biggest "don't miss" meal, imho. There are all kinds of tours available, take one that fit's your fancies. Make it over to Tybee one day, a fun meal there would be at the Crab Shack, visit Fort Pulaski on the way out or back. If your interested in museams then check out the Telfair.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

Thank you so much for your help! I was wondering which ghost tour would be the best, thanks for narrowing it down for us.

We both love walking, so look forward to walking around Savannah.

Thank you so much again!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

Thanks for telling us about Mrs. Wilkes, we'll be sure to try it. I had been wondering about going to Tybee Island, I think we will now.

Your ideas of where to walk were great too!

Thanks again!

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

As far as the ghost tours, there are many of them and they do vary. My personal favorite is the Creepy Crawl, especially if Greg is doing the tour, it's a lot of fun. It is a pub crawl so people will be drinking, which I find only adds to the fun, unless you're really serious about your ghosts.

A word about River Street. Many tend to focus of it and you should certainly check it out. But I don't find it to be very representative of Savannah, it's 100% tourist oriented. I much prefer the rest of the historic district.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

If you go to Tybee, take the time to stop at Ft Pulaski.

It is a national park and historically significant for several reasons, all explained in the little video and museum they have.

The fort itself is beautiful and has great views from the top of the walls, my avatar is one of those views.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

The first day you may want to consider and on-off trolley tour to get lay of the land and identify places you want to see later. Strolling River St and the blocks in really nice. I also agree Forsyth Park is really worth seeing for a couple hours--may be a bit farther than you want to walk from River St/Downtown area. Parking should be easy around the park.

I would definitely go out to Bonaventure Cemetary. Do not miss this place. You will need to drive out there. Maybe combine it with the Tybee Island trip or drive to Forsyth Park. Allow an hour at least at cemetary. On way to cemetary you could visit Wormsloe State historic site--small admission fee. On Tybee, be sure to check out the lighthouse--I believe you can still climb it for a fee.

We like Skidaway Island SP. Couple of nice short trails to walk. Never been to their acquarium.

For good pizza I recommend Vinnie Van Go Gos in Market Square. Sit outside and people watch. We also like the Greek Restaraunt on River St. Good for lunch with a Greek Salad and good dinners too. If you are into Paula Dean, might consider The Lady and Sons for lunch buffet. You have to line up around 9 am to get a time to come back for lunch. Not too big a hassle most times. Be aware Mrs Wilkes is only open weekdays (we still have not been) so if planning both keep that in mind.

Try to limit the number of days you drive as sometimes parking can be limited for hotels in downtown area or a hassle to get a spot back. Not as big a deal on weekdays, but could be issue on weekend. We usually go out to Tybee on our last day and try to leave car parked mostly.

Go to Savannah Visitor bureau on line to get a map of Savannah that shows the blocks. I think they have a narrative of places around the blocks--I know I downloaded one from somewhere in the past. The actual center is on MLK and is good resource for local info and brochures--you can also catch trolleys there or near most hotels.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
120 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

Agree with ScottE about a tour to get the lay of the land; it helped us learn our way around quite a bit, plus scope out areas you want to see close up. The historic district is ideal for walking, just wear good shoes. Also can recommend the quick drive out to the Bonaventure Cemetery, very beautiful.

10. Re: What Savannah Sites Should We Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 05:15