We just booked our ticket for a week visit to Charleston and Savannah! I posted this thread in the Charleston forum as well as here.
We are a couple in our mid forties who love adventure, nature, great food and fun nightlife (who doesn't, right?). Our budget is low to moderate as we have both taken a couple of international trips already this year and this is a "spur of the moment, let's head out for the holidays for a long weekend that turned into a week trip". We love off-the-beaten-path destinations.
How does this itinerary sound?
We will arrive around midnight on x-mas and car rental agencies are closed so we will spend the first night at an airport hotel. We will pick up a car the next morning and plan on heading on a leisurely route down to Savannah.
We are thinking about staying 2 nights in Savannah, then one night on an island, and then 3 nights in Charleston, spending New Years Eve in Charelston.
We picked up a couple of guide books that are just for Charleston and Savannah but there seem to be a lot of really incredible nature to be seen between and around these two cities!
Now for the questions! I know some of them refer to S.C but I figure many of you have ventured across the border!
1. What national parks are a must see for nature lovers?
2. Is a visit to Okefenokkee worth while?
3. Is a visit to Harris Neck National Wildlife Refugee worth while?
Edisto Island worthwhile?
4. Is Cape Romaine Wildlife Refuge Worthwhile?
5. If you were to spend just one night on one of the islands around Charleston or Savannah, which would you choose? Ideally, we would stay in an area with very few people, beautiful nature and a casual local bar near the ocean.
More questions to follow!
Thanks in advance!