We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

Germanton, North...
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

My husband and I are traveling from NC to FL and plan to stop in Savannah for one night. I have never been, so I thought it would be a good chance to check it out for a possible future trip. I would like to find a B&B or small hotel in the historic district with a great restaurant within easy walking distance.

Our hotel budget is under $150/night before taxes if possible. For restaurants, we like just about all cuisine types and prefer smaller/non-touristy places....seafood would be nice but not a must. We're open to spending up to about $100 for dinner including wine.

Which combo hotel and restaurant would you choose and why?? Thanks for your help!!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

I know some may disagree with me, but I would recommend that you look at the B&Bs closer to the south end of the historic district (Catherine Ward House Inn, Forsyth Park Inn, Azalea Inn) if you're wanting a less "touristy" take on Savannah. All of these B&Bs are an easy walk throughout the historic district (it's only 1 mile E/W and 1.5 miles N/S). There are a handful of restaurants in this area including Local11Ten (great food every time I've been there - I was last there in 2008 before I moved from Savannah for graduate school), 700 Drayton (attached to the Mansion on Forsyth Park - boutique hotel that get's mixed reviews - I toured it while in Savannah and didn't care for the rooms, but the food was good).

Read the reviews on TA - they are accurate and reflect the quality of accommodations and dining options that are in Savannah.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

PS: The reason why I suggest B&Bs on the south side of the Historic District is because the neighborhoods (while active) are far less touristy than City Market, River Street, and Bay Street.

I remember a statistic from a number of years ago (2007 perhaps) that said 95% of the people on River Street were tourists - do the math, almost all of the restaurants and shops down there are tourist traps.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

I like the area around the park as well,I live there but for one night, first time here I would try to be right downtown. There are lots of B&Bs and also a couple new small chain hotels. Look at the Avia, the Bohemian or the Marshall House. Make an offer, everyone is just trying to get bookings right now.

For dinner check out IL Pasticcio, Vics on the river or Noble Fare. The only touristy restaurants that locals seldom go to are some of those right on River street, City Market Cafe and Paula Deen's place.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

I would look at Planters Inn. It's close to The Olde Pink House Restaurant one of the best in Savannah.

Germanton, North...
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

Thanks to everyone for their responses. We ended up booking AVIA for our night in Savannah and I'm narrowing down restaurant choices now! They did negotiate on the rate and got me down to the $150 including taxes and fees which is within our budget! :-)

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

You won't be disappointment with the Avia at all.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

Look at the reviews for Vic's on the River, review their menu, and if you decide to dine there, call for reservations for a table overlooking the river. You will not be disappointed.

Germanton, North...
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

Done! we have reservations at Vics, and I requested a table with a view!

Germanton, North...
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

I thought I would follow up and let everyone know that we were definitely NOT disappointed with Avia or Vic's! Our stay was fantastic and I would definitely go back again. The Avia was in the perfect location in close proximity to everything, and our room was huge compared to what we expected! King bed, sofa, chair and ottoman, huge flatscreen, fridge and minibar, good size bathroom, and a balcony overlooking the pool--exceeded expectations. Vics on the River was a nice 3 block stroll down to the river and the food was fantastic--I had shrimp and grits and my husband had the ribeye (he was happy with the size of his steak btw--which is always a challenge with him when we go to nice restaurants), we shared the sweet potato creme brulee and a bottle of wine. Great atmosphere with the piano bar and riverfront table. Perfect night! The breakfast at Avia was also very good--shrimp and grits, crepes and omelettes made to order along with selections of cheeses, fruits and "standard" breakfast items. My only regret is that we were only theref for one night!

florida
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night in Savannah-which B&B/Small Hotel and Restaurant?

Thanks so much for coming back to post. Can you tell me, please, whether Avia was nice and quiet? That's our highest priority and I've had trouble finding peace and quiet in Savannah (we're horribly light sleepers). Thanks again.