We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okefenokee Swamp

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Okefenokee Swamp

Hi, can anyone tell me how far the swamp is fron Savannah. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,742 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

A little over 100 miles and about a 2 hour drive.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

Too far for day trip unless going to East entrance near Fargo. This is the area of the "prairies" and is good for bird watching.

To see Cypress trees like most picture, need to go to Stephen Foster SP which is located on Southern side of swamp. But his would add at least 1-2 hours onto trip.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

I would suggest an overnight trip to the east entrance near Folkston. You could stay in Folkston but I suggest staying in St Marys, about a half hour drive away. If you wanted to make it a two day trip you could visit Cumberland Island.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

I misled you; Folkston is actually the town nearest ot east entrance. This is where the "plains" are located. See this url: http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/

Fargo is the town down near southern entrance. This is where Stephen Foster SP is located and where the cypresses are seen. To me this is by far the best entrance; although, the east entrance is good for birding. Here is a link to Stephen Foster: http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/.

Fargo will take longer to get to though. See mapquest on both.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

We have always gone to the north entrance and enjoyed the experience. They have lots of info, lots of trails and a nice boat tour through the swamp. We have done it as a day trip every time we have been.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

The north entrance is privately owned park call Okefenokee Swamp Park. It is a bit farther than East entrance from Savannah most likely, but is quickest from I-75. It has a small "zoo" and boat rides. I recall renting a canoe there once and it was like canoing through a canal in a Pine Forest. Hard to see outside the brush on side. But I believe the tours probably go farther back in swamp.

This is also, or was, homebase of Okefenokee Joe, who I recall seeing on TV a few times talking about the swamp and handling snakes. Might be a good place to visit, it was well over 10 years since I went. But overall I tend to prefer the more "wild" experience of Stephen Foster SP or the East Entrance prairies.

Here is the website: http://www.okeswamp.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,742 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

Just got back from a trip to Florida and then to Okefenokee Swamp. The entrance at Folkston is good for seeing the park. Not much there in way of lodging or restaurants. I would either stay in St. Mary's or Waycross.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

One interesting thing about the East entrance near Folkston is you get to see, and ride along, the canal someone was going to dig to drain the swamp for farmland I believe. Interesting to see and I hear this is best place for viewing birds.

To me, Stephen Foster at South entrance is what I expected when I thought of the Okefenokee.

10. Re: Okefenokee Swamp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Savannah
Recent Conversations