We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah in January

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah in January

My husband and I have planned four day trip to Savannah in January. I know it's not the most ideal time to go, but it's that or nothing. So, it's January. We've booked the East Bay Inn.

Does it pay to rent a car while we're there or will we be able to get around without one? Is it worth taking a ride to Hilton Head? Can someone give me the names of a few good reasonable restaurants? Thanks.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah in January

You won't need a car if it is warm enough to walk around. It's chancy. It could be quite cold and windy. I would rent one.

Even if you take one of the trolley tours, it's nice to be able to drive around on your own. A trip out to Fort Pulaski and the Beach would be impossible without a car.

Personally, in January, I don't think it's worth the ride to Hilton Head. Some might disagree. Beaufort would be a better ride. There are a couple of interesting churches and cemeteries there.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah in January

There are many good restaurants in the historic district. Your hotel is near the north east corner of the approx. 1 mile square that make up the district.

The restaurant reviews on this site are pretty good and will give you an idea of what's available. We have good Thai, italian, moroccan, southern, mexican, vegan, quiche, pastries, most anything you want.

I would agree with Aileen on the car, that time of year it can be really cold. If the weather is nice though and you don't want to see Pulaski or the beach you could probably just walk.

Here is a map of the historic district, if I am not mistaken your hotel is at Bay and Lincoln.

www.savcvb.com/savannah/maps/downtown.shtml

Boston
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah in January

What is your idea of cold? I've from Boston and was planning a trip to Savannah late feb/early march... what is the average temp? :-)

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah in January

You can't really rely on "average temperature"

The Average sounds pretty good, but the reality can be tricky. We had the high 30s a few days ago, but it also had a high humidity and windy, which made it tooooo cold for golf. That's how we figure it around my house. If it's toooooo cold for golf, it's just plain cold. Frost on the ground and everything else!!

Today, at noon, it's 57 degrees and going to 60. Before the end of February, there may be days of almost 80, or days back down in the 30s. You just take a chance. The wet 35 is much more miserable than a dry 35.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah in January

Don't bother with Hilton Head. Unless you are staying at one of the hotels/resorts there, you won't have access to much of the beach, etc. The only thing it can offer you is shopping/factory outlets, which you can get back home.

The East Bay Inn is a very nice property. Make certain you try the blue crab cakes in Skyler's resteraunt in their basement. Just make certain you go for lunch, not dinner - same entrees, same portion sizes, three times more expensive at dinner than lunch. Last time I had their crab cakes is was about one year ago - Lunch was $6.95!

It is worth using a car to get to Boneventure Cemetary - a must see. Several tour companies go out there but not all will let you get off the bus and walk trough. It is also good to have a car to get to Fort Pulaski, Fort Jackson, the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum - all worth the visit.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah in January

Just got back (see my TR) It wasn't cold for the folks from Chicago and Michigan (lows of 40s and highs of 60s) but it was a little cold for this transplanted Southerner at night (sweatshirt/light coat)Agree the weather here in Georgia can be dicey that time of year. Running joke is wait an hour or 2 and the weather will change!

Does it pay to rent a car while we're there or will we be able to get around without one?- personally I would rent a car

Is it worth taking a ride to Hilton Head?- others may disagree but I LOVE Hilton Head. Lighthouse, Salty Dog, and beautiful moss draped oaks.

Can someone give me the names of a few good reasonable restaurants? We dined at Belfords in the Market and enjoyed it.