We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flowers in Savannah??

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Flowers in Savannah??

We are visiting Savannah the week of March 21-28. We were really hoping to see Savannah in bloom. I've read that unusually cold weather might prevent the flowers from blooming on time. Just wondering if someone might give us an idea of what we might see blooming. Thanks so much.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

please excuss my spelling but the azalea should be in full bloom then. I was noticing last night that mine where just starting to bud. My camelas have been blooming for several weeks now. Some are in full bloom and some are just budding. If the weather stays like it is forecasted to there should be plenty of blooms then.

John

St. Louis
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

You've made my day. It would be fantastic to find the azaleas blooming. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather cooperates.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

The only problem with the azela blooming is they can pop out quick and be gone just as quick. Around here that can be from St. Pat's day to easter. My grandpa use to say that they where like an easter dress. They are really pretty for a few days and then just a green brush for the rest of the year.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

Well at least we have a chance to catch the azaleas in bloom. I wasn't sure what a camelia was but I looked it up and they look beautiful. Do you have tulips and daffodils and if so, have they bloomed yet?

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

I do not have any but they are present in the area. I am not really sure when they will bloom. I did plant some one year and had plants that got about 30 inches tall and look great but never had any blooms.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

There's not much in the way of narcissus (jonquils, daffodils, etc) in the historic district. There are usually some tulips in a couple of squares but that might or might not be this year. Most places are too shady for them and they, especially tulips, would have to be replanted each year. There should still be some camillias in bloom, their blooms are much prettier than azeleas I think, there's just less of them.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

The Visitors Center was tweeting today on Twitter they are seeing some with buds today, March 10, 2010. This week is supposed to be warm in the 70s with some rain. Next weeks looks a few degrees cooler so who knows.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

I'm thinking that your climate is probably a little too warm for tulips and daffodils to do well. I know they have to go through a winter season in order to bloom.

I hope that the slightly cooler weather predicted for next week might keep the azaleas from opening too soon for us. I know when we planned this trip one of our group didn't want to go then because she was sure we would be too early for the azaleas. Interesting that we may be too late.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

I just wrote a personal blog about this very thing! With St. Patrick's day one week from today, I was thinking at lunch "how strange". I cannot recall a time in the past 10 years that the azaleas had not bloomed and were wilting by parade day.

I haven't seen as much as a bud on the bushes yet! It might be another three weeks before they bloom.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flowers in Savannah??

I guess it depends on how much sun the azaleas are receiving. Apparently some have buds, some have started to bloom, and some have no buds. It sounds like we will see some when we're there. Can't ask for more than that.