We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything worth seeing between Jacksonville and Savannah?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Anything worth seeing between Jacksonville and Savannah?

My husband and I will be renting a car in Jacksonville and driving to Savannah next week. We're early risers and I suspect we may have some time to kill along the way. Our first stop in Savannah will be Mrs. Wilkes for lunch - plan is to arrive right about the time one should be getting in line for the first seating! However, it looks like it should only take us about 2 hrs to get to our destination, so the question is, is there anything interesting or must-see along that long stretch of I-95?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything worth seeing between Jacksonville and Savannah?

Sorry - I should have included that it can be anything from eccentric (world's largest ball of twine) to delicious (a little known seafood shack) The only thing we're NOT interested in is a gator farm or snake sanctuary or anything reptilian in nature!

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything worth seeing between Jacksonville and Savannah?

Well certainly the best thing to see on that route is the Okefenokee Swamp but that would take a half day at the very least. You might want to check the Hofwyl Plantation. it's part of the Georgia parks system and is off exit 42 on I-95. http://georgiagolf.org/Hofwyl

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything worth seeing between Jacksonville and Savannah?

From Jacksonville drive up to Amelia Island/Fernindina Beach and enjoy historic area and Fort Clinch SP which has a Civil War era fort then take the ferry over to St. Mary's and enjoy the historic area there. You can then head up to Savannah on I-95 and be there by lunch.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
1,151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything worth seeing between Jacksonville and Savannah?

darien, st simons island and jekyl island are all along the coast in beween

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
688 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything worth seeing between Jacksonville and Savannah?

It really depends on where you are starting out in Jacksonville. If it is the airport, that is north of town so you will have a good start. However, if you want to be in line at Mrs. Wilkes at 10:30 am. there isn't anything to see for that brief amount of time. that's worth while. You will need to get into Savannah and then park your car and so on. You can get off on exit 29 on I95 turn right onto Rte 17 & 25 and drive through St Simons Island (follow signs), then come back to Rte 17 and head north to Darien and pick up I95 at the Circle K (turn left) just on the outskirts of town. I95 is only one mile from there. You might enjoy that for a brief stop. St Simons is a beautiful island just to view the live oaks.

6. Re: Anything worth seeing between Jacksonville and Savannah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 06:24