We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Savannah

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
7 days in Savannah

My mother-in-law, sister-in-law, niece and my daughter will be visiting Savannah for 7 days this month. I know my mother-in-law has done quite a bit of planning and has booked the trolley tour, a candlelight tour of historic area, some type of alligator tour, time in Tybee Island, etc. A friend of mine used to live in Savannah and she said that they should be careful in the historic district because purse snatchings and muggings had become common so I'm concerned about that issue now of course. She did recommend they visit River Street and Bonaventure Cemetary and also Oatland Island. She said Uncle Bubba's restaurant was good and for pizza she recommended Vinnie Van Gogos and THe Mellow Mushroom. Any more ideas or thoughts on what they absolutely should not pass up? Thanks! The kids are tweens so my mother-in-law likes combining a vacation with learning experiences.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Savannah

Skip going to Uncle Bubba's unless you like to share your meal with cats. They're all over the outside deck which overlooks the marsh. They're not pets but just feral cats who are used to being fed by patrons...none are vaccinated, so I've been told by a former employee.

It's a tourist trap same as Paula's first restaurant Lady and Sons.

Downtown street crime is part of Savannah. Everyone is aware of it but despite increased foot and mounted patrols by the police, the street thugs are in charge. Purse snatchings and car break ins happen frequently. Some women make themselves easy targets for the thugs who live on the outskirts of the historic district where the crime seems to be bred: they let their pocketbooks dangle loosely by their hands while paying attention to a map or walking around lost in a daze. So along comes a thief on foot or bike and he snatches the purse in a flash and they are gone. Sometimes women get knocked down and injured during purse snatchings.

DO NOT walk thru a square at night unless you're with a tour group.

If you go to Bonaventure Cemetery remember to lock all valuables in the trunk BEFORE getting out of your car to walk around. Better yet, don't carry valuables with you. If a thief sees you putting pocketbooks & items into your trunk while parking in Bonaventure, then you've made it very easy for him to know where to look. They can pop open a trunk within seconds, grab your stuff and leave before anyone sees or hears a thing. Don't wear jewelry or carry $$ in the cemetery. Bonaventure is so large with isolated areas of interest that it is easy for a thief to hide out in wait. It's mostly women who go out there alone or maybe with another companion, usually a woman. Women are the targets: pocketbooks, jewelry, etc. Be aware of your safety in Bonaventure. Do not put things under your front seat, either. The cemetery's front office is open 8-5 daily and they will warn you of these same things.

Don't know about the alligator tours, but I'd ask on this site for reviews before throwing away good money.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Savannah

I have lived and walked around in the HD for 11 years, I have never even felt threatened. I am not stuopid, I stay on the main drags and look people in the eye.

Savannah is a town where you must be aware, not a town where you must be afraid.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Savannah

As a female, I always suggest carry a cross body bag. While I know it is not as attractive and fashionable as others, they can be found and there's fashionable ones too and it's all I ever carry in Savannah or any other place while shopping.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Savannah

Foggy and Brain are right. The crime is not so bad, just be aware of your surrondings. Stay away from Uncle Bubbas, It's a tourist trap. On the islands try AJ's, The crab shack or do a search of resturants on this site. There are lots of good ones.

John

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Savannah

Thanks all for your replies. They are helpful. I know all cities have a criminal element and you just have to be aware of your surroundings. I will be sure to remind them all though about keeping their guard up.

I do like the suggestion of a cross body bag...I know I have one somewhere I might have to dig that out for my daughter to use because of the 4 of them that are going...she'd be the one least aware of her surroundings.

I had heard from some others that Uncle Bubba's and Lady and Sons were really note worth the time or money. And was suggested the Crab Shack on Tybee Island for them to eat crab at.

Another last minute things I should let them know?

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Savannah

Have them try Mrs Wilkes for lunch. The Crab Shack can be fun or not, depending on how you like that kind of thing. It is nice sitting at the tables under the oaks on the water.

Peoples perceptions of crime often varies. If you look at the overall crime statistics for Savannah it can be a little misleading if you're only in the historic district. Most of the violent crime is outside the hd. They'll be fine in the hd but be aware that it can be a different story one block outside it so you need to be familiar with what constitutes the hd. It's generally considered to be bounded by River St on the north, Gaston St on the south, MLK Bvld on the west and East Broad on the east.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Savannah

If they are interested in history have them visit Ft Pulaski, it is on the way to Tybee and a national park. It is loaded with history and has some nice displays to explain how it was built and used.

8. Re: 7 days in Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Savannah