We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Walking Tour

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Best Walking Tour

I apologize if this is posted somewhere.....all the information I found was on trolley tours and ghost tours.

I'm going to be in Savannah for one day in August and would love to a walking tour of the historic district. Can anyone give a recommendation on the best/most authentic company to go with?

Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Walking Tour

Depends on what you're interested in.

If you want a great tour about the architecture in Savannah and how the architecture depicts the city's growth over the years, I'd go with the Architectural Tours of Savannah - operated by a gentleman named Jonathan (graduated from SCAD with a degree in Architecture - is very well versed in the city's history and is very personable).

There are a few others that I've heard good reviews of, but I have not personally taken their tours so I can't vouch for them.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Walking Tour

Go with Savannah Dan, he gets rave reviews on the travel sites. Savannah Dan's an engaging personality in a seersucker suit.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Walking Tour

Bobby Davis with Explore Savannah gave us a wonderful 2 plus hour tour of the historic district with great stories and history lessons.. It was a great way to start our vacation. Funny, personable and educational all wrappped into one great tour. Check out his recommendations here on "Things to Do" in Savannah. He deserves the number one rating!

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Walking Tour

Oh, just remember that Savannah is VERY hot and humid this time of year. So early morning is the best time.....even then we were all a sweaty, hot mess!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Walking Tour

You can do self walking tours as well. We bought a book for $5 or $6 that mapped out 4 walking tours and provided pictures, history, etc... I think it was called "The Savannah Walking Tour and Guide Book".

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Walking Tour

If you want to do a group walking tour, Savannah Dan is the man. He seems to limit his groups to no more than 20. I saw him several times this weekend although I haven't done his tour personally but I did listen to one of his stories while I was walking. He seems to funny, knowledgeable and that's who I would spend my money on. Explore Savannah seems is the most popular for private tours. Look under Things to Do for more reviews if you haven't already.

7. Re: Best Walking Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:17