We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choose between these 3 restaurants?

florida
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
choose between these 3 restaurants?

We'll be one night in Savannah (on a Friday, end of October, if that makes a difference). On previous snow-bird migrations, we've much enjoyed the Savannah Bistro, but I've learned that it's closed now. So:

Sapphire Grill? Vic's on River? Alligator Soul?

We like terrific food, unpretentious but attentive service, nice atmosphere. Don't enjoy noisy, "happening" kinds of places.

Not big meat eaters, prefer veggies and seafood.

Would like an easy walk (in case weather isn't good). We will probably be staying at Zeigler House.

Many thanks. (I did look at menus-- all look great of course.)

Btw, which of the restaurants is likely to be least expensive, which most? Thanks!

georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

Sorry not familar with those names. It's been awhile but I can recommend using the dining card. Think it was Savannah menu or savannah dining. You can get it online although we bought ours in town. We are located where there is not such an option so it was nice to have money savings while enjoying the area. .

Boston
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

We've been to Vics and Alligator Soul. Vics- wouldn't bother again- nice views, decent service but very, very little food for the money. We are not big people but left starving and with an empty wallet. Alligator Soul- very expensive but we had good portions, excellent service and the atmosphere is lovely. We would go there again once we save up some money. I don't remember what we ate at Alligator Soul but we aimed for seafood at Vics and couldn't "see" it on the plates, the portions were so so tiny!

florida
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

Thanks to responders. Now I just need to decide between Alligator Soul and Sapphire Grill.

I looked into the dining card, but it doesn't make sense for a one day stay. Nice, though, for longer visits.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

Vic's on the River is a locals' favorite, period. Yes, tourists go to Vic's on account of its location above River Street but it you get your money's worth. As a tour guide I recommend it to tourists who want an above-average meal. Upscale setting & menu. Top item: shrimp and grits with Tasso ham bits.

Now if you REALLY want to have supper with locals in a true Savannah institution, find the Crystal Beer Parlor on West Jones at Jefferson St and you'll be talking about it for years. It dates back to 1933, same spot, now under new and much improved ownership over the last gal. Most nights it's packed. Well worth it, casual dress but no jean shorts please.

florida
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

I appreciate the new suggestion. BUT: Our LEAST favorite kind of eating is in noisy, crowded, "happening" places. (I know that lots of people enjoy that-- we love to relax and enjoy quiet conversation.)

I also don't care one way or the other whether the restaurant is a place frequented by locals: that's not either a draw or a turn-off. The main things we care about are excellent food and pleasant atmosphere and good (non-pretentious) service.

Thanks though!

California
Level Contributor
85 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

Our dinner at Vic's was certainly a different experience than Karrieb's., I remember starting with fried green tomatoes (something a little different for a Californian). I'm not sure what my entree was but I do remember having plenty of food, so our portions must have been much larger than those described above.

The view of the river was nice and our waiter took the time to take us out on a small balcony and tell us a bit about the river, the port activity and said he had seen a large container ship that day. We were all satisfied with the atmosphere, service and the food. Wouldn't hesitate to return.

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

Take a look at local 11ten as well

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

Take a look at Noble Fare and Local 11Ten.

9. Re: choose between these 3 restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 04:16