We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining at Mrs. Wilkes

Olargues, France
Level Contributor
40 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Dining at Mrs. Wilkes

I'm going to be in Savannah October 8th -10th and want to have lunch at least once at Mrs. Wilkes. Anyone have advice as to the best way to avoid a long wait in line?

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining at Mrs. Wilkes

I haven't found a way to avoid the line yet except get there early so you are at the front. The good thing is there is a lot of seating and it is family style, so a lot of people get seated at one time. And it is totally worth the wait!!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining at Mrs. Wilkes

If you want the whole southern experience of down home cooking and eating with 10 or twelve people then get there early. If you just want to try the food, there is a takeout door near the rear. I would get there early for the experience including meeting locals and other tourist from around the world.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining at Mrs. Wilkes

go very early, and anticipate the absolute best fried chicken on earth. it's well worth the wait, you will not be disappointed nary one iota. enjoy!

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining at Mrs. Wilkes

The dining room at The Wilkes House serves dinner between 11am thru 2pm, M-F. Cash only, $16. If you want to beat the crowds and eat early, have a light breakfast and be in line by 10:30. October is very busy in the tourist industry and lines form early. It's not a bad wait because you're on West Jones Street, just off Whitaker in one of the most stunning areas of downtown Savannah. There is an air of anticipation that adds to the experience, and people are friendly here. You'll come across locals, it's not all tourists. (Paula Deen's Lady and Sons is another matter: all tourists and NO locals. We know better)

The side of the street where The Wilkes House stands is shaded. If you are staying anywhere within the downtown/historic district you can easily walk to the dining room within 20-25 minutes. Parking is limited in this neighborhood due to residents and college students nearby.

This is Savannah's authentic Southern dining experience. Casual, no frills, good food.

Mentioned in this post
Lady & Sons
Lady & Sons
9,168 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining at Mrs. Wilkes

It looks as though you are going to be there during a weekend so Friday would be your only choice. If you miss Friday at Mrs Wilkes you might like to try Geneva Geneva's best southern food I have put in my mouth. I have to agree about Lady and Sons. I have had far better at the Golden Corral.

Mentioned in this post
Lady & Sons
Lady & Sons
9,168 Reviews
Savannah, GA
6. Re: Dining at Mrs. Wilkes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 06:38