We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

Looking for advice on a downtown Savannah restaurant, preferably for lunch on Saturday. My 23-year-old daughter is interested in finding a place to eat that showcases a new take on traditional southern food. She's looking for fresh, modern, health-conscious food. But based on southern traditions. Any ideas? Thanks.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

Traditional Southern cooking does not equal healthy. Any southern cuisine will be loaded with butter, salt, bacon drippings, etc.

I am sure there are chefs out there that take area staples such as collard greens and grits and use them in their dishes, but when they leave out the other key ingredients, you no longer have traditional southern cooking.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

The pink house, Vic on the river, Sapphire grill all have choices on the menu that are modern takes on traditional southern dishes. We don't have a place that specializes in that cuisine though.

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

Thanks for the information. Appreciated.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

"She's looking for fresh, modern, health-conscious food." Guess you can rule out Lady & Sons!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

I would rule that out if I was just looking for food.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

Hey BrianO, can you elaborate on those dishes that are new spins ? Only new spins I have heard was when people started putting shrimp and grits together. Very interested in how you can make traditional southern food healthy. As stated before, once you take the "southern methods" out of the process, you got the same thing as if you poured the food out of a can.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

I live and work downtown (I'm actually a concierge who fields this sort of question all of the time) and I would suggest The Olde Pink House for a weekend lunch. No, Southern cuisine in the traditional sense is not healthy, lol, but The Olde Pink's menu is based on Colonial Southern fare made more palatable for modern tastes. For example, if you order fried green tomatoes you might find them served with goat cheese.

8. Re: modern southern cuisine - restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 06:43