We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to Wander HD at night?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to Wander HD at night?

Some others have already touched on this, but I'd love it if some of the locals would weigh in on the safety factor based on the following scenario. My sister, mother and I are visiting next week, Thursday through Sunday morning, and staying at the Planter's Inn. After we put our mother to bed, sis and I plan to wander the historic district, ramble through some of the squares and peek through the garden gates of graceful mansions - basically soak up the atmosphere after everyone has gone to bed while carrying a to-go cup, of course... We don't plan on being wasted, nor do we plan on staying out past midnight, maybe 1am at the latest. We've done this in Charleston, and for a couple of yankees who yearn for the romantic south, it was the highlight of our trip. Is this safe to do in Savannah? Are there particular areas of the HD or squares we should avoid? Since they're close to the Inn, how are Reynolds and Johnson Squares, and Emmett Park? Thanks.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

Bull St, Bay St, Oglethorpe, Liberty, these are the main drags, try to stay close to them. There is always a danger, bad guys drive cares, you never know when someone will stop and take your money but odds are you will be fine.

Maybe get a pedi cab driver to haul you around and hop out when you see something interesting, it is a third person in the group and if you look around maybe you can find a big guy. He can pick you up at your inn and drop you back off.

I would walk, I have for years but I am 6'1" and almost 300 pounds. I would hate to recommend you walk and then have something bad happen.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

The area in the Parks is not brightly lit. It's doubtful if you could really see much in the way of gardens, etc. Also, it could be a little chilly for wandering around late at night. A pedicab would be a good solution for you.

Wandering around with a to-go cup is like waving a red flag in front of the baddies. You would be smart not to do it.

3. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 14:02
4. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 14:03
5. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

6. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

Edited: 19 October 2010, 14:03
Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

See my post to you under What has Changed. We have been to Savannah several times and have'nt had any problems.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

My fiance and I have wondered at night and yes we've been asked for money a couple of times but we say we don't have any and walk on. My suggestion is if you can get away without carrying a purse maybe wear a jacket with pockets and don't look like tourists, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you carry a camera around your neck, you will look like a tourist. I carry one in my pocket. Also, my fiance does carry some maise just in case. It might not help in a true mugging but it makes us more comfident. Always look people in the eye.

9. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 14:04
10. Re: Safe to Wander HD at night?

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 14:04