We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back in the Day Bakery

Fargo, ND
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Back in the Day Bakery

Hi,

I was just researching some places to eat/visit in Savannah and came across the Back in the Day Bakery. Can anyone tell me about it? Is it worth a visit? Also - is Mercer house really not worth the trip even if you've read the book? Thanks

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Back in the Day Bakery

A lot will depend on how much time you have. The Back in the Day Bakery will require a car to get from the Historic District. If you have the time and don't need to go anywhere else, go. Check out their websight at www.backinthedaybakery.com The breads sound wonderful.

The Mercer House has very little to do with the fiction in The Book except for the fact that a murder occured there. You will be disappointed. The reports are that it is not well kept up and you are only allowed to see three rooms and no one will talk about the murder. If you want to see House museums, there are others that are top notch. Don't waste your money on the Mercer house.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back in the Day Bakery

I've been to the Back in the Day Bakery and it was OK, but not worth a trip via car from the Historic District. The neighborhood is scary there.

BEST bakery in Savannah--as voted for & supported by locals-- is B. Mathews Bakery on East Bay at Habersham Streets, right in the heart of the HD. You can even get delicious breakfasts & lunches at Mathews in addition to the goodies in the glass cases.

Mercer House is the city's leading tourist rip-off. There is NO mention of "the Book" nor anything to do with that decade when Jim Williams was undergoing 4 murder trials yet that's what unsuspecting tourists think they'll see & hear about. His furnishings & antiques were sold years ago, and you can see ONLY 3 rooms plus take a trip through the inevitable "gift shop". The house is in poor repair. Instead of being taken and laughed at behind your back by the staff at Mercer House, go see a real museum, like the Owens-Thomas House or The Davenport House, to name but a few.

Fargo, ND
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back in the Day Bakery

Thanks for your helpful advice! I look forward to my trip.