We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

kentucky
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

I will be in St. Augustine mid-April and have been thinking about taking Amtrak up to Savannah. I'd like to spend a few days in the historic district before flying home to KY. But after reading about where the station is located I'm having second thoughts. The train from JAX gets to Savannah around 9 p.m. Will I be able to use my cell to call a taxi as the train is coming into the station so it is there ready for me? The amtrak station sounds like its not a place to spend any time in. Is there decent supervision on the train? I hate to drive so I will not rent a car. I will be flying into JAX from KY and it is not much more to fly back home from Savannah. Anyone experienced with getting into Savannah from the Amtrak station?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

Hi

I hope a local answers your question, we are also catching a train which arrives in Savannah at 9.00pm from Charlston. The AMTRAK website says that the station is open until 1.30am and there are payphones available.

I would imagine there are taxis there, it makes sense that people arrive by train need transport to their hotel so if I was a taxi driver I would meet the train.

Jodi

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

The train station iteself is fine, it's located west of the city in an industrial area, desolate neighborhood. Taxis are right outside the station to take you to your hotel, same as an airport or bus station.

As for personal safety on the train, contact Amtrak.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

We have used Amtrak several times to get my mom back and forth between here and Orlando, she has always enjoyed the trip, never a problem.

The station is in a weird area but they always are anywhere but the northeast. I think up there they were built for people to use and the tracks brought to them, everywhere else the stations were stuck on the tracks somewhere after they were laid for freight business.

It is safe though, the station is manned all the time and taxis are waiting when the trains come in. It is only about a 10 minute taxi ride if you are staying in the HD.

Edited: 17 February 2011, 13:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

Thanks for the responses, we are really looking forward to visiting Savannah.

Jodi

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,275 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

You will be taking the Silver Meteor or Silver Star Florida/East Coast first class trains. Of course the trains are supervised and safe. Train tracks are always located on the edge of town - or at least on the edge of the original old town. Savannah's station is on the edge of town and there is light industry around. It's not a ghetto. The taxi rank is right outside the front of the station and cabs will be waiting. Each cab has the ability to radio for more cabs if there are a lot of people. Your profile says that you've spent a lot of time in Mexico. I'd be more afraid of Mexico than Savannah, GA!

kentucky
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

Thanks to everyone for the information! Some previous posts re Amtrak into Savannah gave me cause for concern. I have had some stressful trips on greyhound due to passenger and station employee behavior which I do not want to revisit.

I'm looking forward to visiting Savannah for the first time ;-)!

7. Re: Amtrak from JAX to Savannah? Safe for gal alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 17:17