We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
27 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

Hi - first trip to Savannah on March 16-22nd (with some time in Charleston, as well). So, just how crazy is Savannah during the St. Patrick's weekend?

My friend and I have no definitive plans for our time in the area, other than my friend HAS to get to Lady & Sons (i'm "meh" on this) and the Jepson Center buildings, and I want to go to the Juliet Gordon Lowe house (DD is a Girl Scout and wants a momento). Other than that, we want to walk around and enjoy, occasionally stopping for a good coffee. We don't have any restaurants we HAD to eat at.

On the 17th, we plan to park in the Trade & Convention Center parking lot, watch some of the parade and then head out to Tybee. Then Friday, Saturday are in Savanna, and Sunday we head out to Charleston for 1-1/2 days. Is the DH going to be swamped with people the entire weekend, or do the crowds died down a bit the following days?

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

The usual crowd is about 200,000 to 350,000 more for the parade and the party time afterwards.

Now, it just depends on where you go as to how crazy it is. Since the parade is on a weekday, it might be more quieter than it would be if it were on the weekend.

Your guess is as good as anyones as to how it will be this time. The situation down on River Street and the City Market will be the busiest. If all you want to do is drive around and look at the squares, etc. you should be able to manage OK.

You probably won't be able to see some of the parade and then head to Tybee because of the parade route. The Juliet Gordon Lowe house is also on the parade route. I don't know if the house will be open that day. Quite a few of the musuems just don't open at all on the 17th.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
27 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

Thanks for the info - I appreciate it. I checked and the Lowe House is closed on St. Patrick's Day.

So, there's no way to get from the Convention Center and out of town to Tybee other than using some of the streets that would be closed off for the parade? Aarrgghh ...... if we park our car there, are we basically "trapped" until some of the roads are opened after the parade? Thanks.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

Yes, there are ways, but they won't be easy for an out of towner to navigate unless they have a good map.

You would take the ferry boat back to the Convention Center. then back over the bridge and on to the Martin Luther King Blvd. Go south until you reach Victory Drive and then head east until you hit the ocean.

savannahga.gov/cityweb/…

If this site works, it should have a reference to the parade route.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

I got to thinking about this, Unless you have a good reason for parking at the Convention Center, I think I would try to find a place to the East of the parade route. Then, all you would have to do is go back to your car and head east to East Broad Street, and east out President Street and the Islands Expressway (HWY 80)

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

I agree with Aileen600 last post about parking on the East side. I would suggest getting to the area south of Broughton & East of Abercorn about 8 to 8:30 AM.. That way it's direct to the islands.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,382 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

I hope you have reservations for lodging. We came at the last minute a couple of years ago and ended up staying out in Pooler. Will not do that again!!!

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
87 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

I have some friends that cancelled - but I have not cancelled their rooms yet if any one needs a room - let me know.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
27 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

We do have reservations at a hotel in Midtown. However, if you have something in the Historic District, I'd be interested in getting some information. Thanks!

Thanks also for the advice about parking - is there a specific lot in that area to park at?

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

nope, finding a spot will mean driving up one street and down another.

your idea of parking at the Convention Center is a good one. But you might have to give up your plan for leaving the parade early.

10. Re: St. Pat's Weekend - so just HOW busy is Savannah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 13:16