We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Patrick's Day from a newbies perspective and DINNER

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
St Patrick's Day from a newbies perspective and DINNER

I am here now for work and totally love Savannah! I took a couple of hours off to witness some of the craziness that is SPD here and:

1) if you come next year, look for the CAT, the Chatham transit busses that shuttle people from outside the Historic District in and out for the parade at least. I took a shuttle from the Savannah Mall and it was great to not have to worry about driving in the craziness, not that I would have found a parking spot

2) the crowds are enormous. I have no other word for it. Trying to get across a parade route street is impossible once the crowds start

3) I got a little tired of the actual parade and the crowds after about an hour and walked just one street away from the parade route and DURING the parade at least, it was empty all over. I easily found a place for a beer in my favorite tiny Irish Pub (O'Connell's on Drayton St) then easily found many spots to have lunch since the parade crowds were still largely intact.

4) if you go next year, keep in mind that its knat season here so bring bug spray

5) I hear its nuts down town right now (7PM) and my hotel way out on Abercorn is already full of drunken partygoers coming and going so without seeing anything after about 1PM I have to guess that its a madhouse on River Street. The open container rule here is a huge novelty to the out of towners !

I copped out due to my early morning work responsibilities and ate dinner at Tangerines, a fusion/sushi place out on Abercorn and it is WONDERFUL! If you are in town and don't mind the drive, head there or their sister restaurant called Ele on Wilmington Island. I can't wait to come back to my favorite city and eat again at this place!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Patrick's Day from a newbies perspective and DINNER

Thanks Karrie, glad you survived St Pat's.

Nice to have you in the forum all the time now, a newer perspective on Savannah.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Patrick's Day from a newbies perspective and DINNER

Thanks Brian, us Yankees and ex-Yankees know a great city when we find one, yes?

Florida
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Patrick's Day from a newbies perspective and DINNER

I loved the parade, we had our chairs on the sidewalk by 7 am and this year had a great line up. The Budweiser horses were great and all Virgina Tech band gets my vote as number one band. I thought the crowds were thinner this year, did not see any throwing up drunk people so that was a plus! I only felt the bugs once down on River street. Great not having to have the bands this year for river st.

4. Re: St Patrick's Day from a newbies perspective and DINNER

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:18