We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

this weekend!

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
this weekend!

My bf and I are planning a weekend trip to Savannah. We wanted to stay in the historic district but the hotels are way too expensive and alot are already booked. This really disappoints me but I guess there are a few conventions going on and a wine festival at Tybee Island. I'm trying to decide if we should just get a hotel out by 95 or airport and drive downtown. We have also wondered if maybe we should just stay in Tybee Island but i'm worried about the festival...never been so not sure how crowded it will be. We did want to drive to the beach for the day maybe but our main objective is walking the riverfront and historic district in Savannah. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: this weekend!

Finding rooms at Tybee will be difficult with the festival. If the HD hotel rooms are too high then stay at Travel Lodge Suites near the AP at Exit 102 off I 95. Rooms there are about $60/night. It's only a 15 minute drive downtown and you have a car. Here's a link to parking downtown. Good luck.

Travel Lodge Suites @ 130 Continental Blvd, Pooler, GA 912 - 748 - 6363.

travelodge.com/Travelodge/…

savannahga.gov/cityweb/…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60814-c12150/Savanna…

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: this weekend!

This is a busy time of year here, the weather is really nice.

The Tybee wine festival is not much to worry about. if you can find a room out there you can afford, I would stay there. it is the same 25 minute drive time as it would be to pooler or to I-95 and a much nicer, prettier drive.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: this weekend!

Thanks for the replies! I can't find anything at Tybee so we may go with Travelodge in Pooler. It doesn't look bad and really is a reasonable price. I can't get anyone to accept a decent bid on priceline for this weekend.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: this weekend!

I'm not sure if you've ever tried to book anything through Priceline's Name Your Own Price. I've gotten some good deals in Savannah's historic district that way, from $60 - $82 a night before tax. It's worth it to give it a shot. I wouldn't go below a 3 star when trying to bid. If you need assistance and want to try it go to www.betterbidding.com. You can learn the best and easiest way to try to bid on there.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: this weekend!

I've been bidding all week on priceline and i got up to $110 for the historic district and i've bid up to $80 for airport area and it was not accepted so it's very frustrating. I don't know if something special is going on this weekend or what the deal is but none of the hotels are accepting my offers. SSooooo, think we are going to book at travelodge for $60. I don't know what else to do....except go on a different weekend....but we've already planned on this weekend....and really need a vacation!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: this weekend!

Here's a few places to stop and rest on your way to Savannah from FL. When you get to Jacksonville, FL on I 95 get off at Exit 353 C on W Union St. and go about 8 blocks to Pearl and take a left to Jenkin's Quality BBQ which is home owned by the Jenkins' Family for over 50 years. Get off I 95 at Exit 373 and go W to Callahan's BBQ.

Jenkin's Quality BBQ @ 830 North Pearl Street, Jacksonville, FL 904 - 353 - 6388.

http://www.jenkinsqualitybarbecue.com/

Callahan's BBQ @ 45007 State Rd 200, Callahan, FL 904 - 879 - 4675.

Get off I 95 at Exit 1 and go W on St. Mary's which turns into Scrubby Bluff Rd. and go to Jack's BBQ. Or you can get off I 95 at Exit 3 at Kingsland, GA and cross E King Ave. to Boone Ave. which is the next street then take a left to Blue's BBQ at the Chevron Market for good BBQ.

Jack's BBQ @ 1359 Scrubby Bluff Rd., Kingsland, GA 912 - 729 - 1500.

Blue's BBQ @ 1330 Boone Ave. Extension E, Kingsland, GA 912 - 576 - 8682.

Get off I 95 at Exit 29 and go W on Highway 82 about a mile to Gary Lee's Market for good road food.

Gary Lee's Market @ 3636 U. S. Hwy. 82, Brunswick, GA. 912 - 265 - 1925.

Get off I 95 at Exit 49 to the right at Darien, GA and go NW on Highway 251 less than a mile to Smokey Joe's BBQ. It is between two hotels on the left and has excellent pulled pork.

If you want the best fresh seafood on your trip get off I 95 at Exit 49 in Darien, GA to the right and go E on Highway 251 to Highway 17. Take a right on Highway 17 and go S for 1.2 miles. Turn right on Broad St. just before crossing the bridge. Go one block and take your first left on Screven St. and have some outstanding fresh seafood at Skipper's Fish Camp. [size=3 font="times new roman"].

Smokey Joe's BBQ @ State Hwy. 251, Darien, GA. 912 - 437 - 2555.

Skipper's Fish Camp @ 85 Screven St., Darien, GA 912 - 437 - 3474.

http://www.skippersfishcamp.com/

Get off I 95 at Exit 58 at Townsend, GA to the right on Highway 99 and go less than a mile to Highway 17. Turn left and go N about 2 miles to Pine Harbor Rd. Take a right and go E about 2 miles to Sepelo Station Crossing and fantastic fresh local seafood and hand cut steaks.

Sapelo Station Crossing @ 1172 Pine Harbor Marina Road, Townsend, GA 912 - 832 - 3555.

Get off I 95 at Exit 67 at Townsend, GA to the right and go S on Highway 17 for 1.2 miles then take a left going E onto Harris Neck Road just past a small church. Go 5.7 miles E to the Jessie Grant Road and look for the purple OSD sign on your left. Turn to the right at the sign for about 100 feet to Old School Diner for the best fresh seafood around. OSD is open for dinner Wednesday/Saturday and Noon to 10 PM on Sunday. They are closed on Monday and Tuesday. This might be the best road food you will have on your trip.

Old School Diner @ 1080 Jesse Grant Road, Townsend, GA 912 - 832 - 2136.

http://oldschooldiner.com/

Get off I 95 at Exit 76 at Midway, GA and go E on Highway 38 to Sunbury Rd. Take a left and go to Brigantine Dunmore Rd. Take a left and go to Sunbury Crab Co. which is open for dinner serving outstanding fresh seafood. This might be the best place you stop for the seafood is outstanding.

Sunbury Crab Co. @ 539 Brigantine Dunmore Road Midway, GA 912 - 884 - 8640.

http://sunburycrabco.wp.net/

Get off I 95 at Exit 87 at Richmond Hill, GA and go W on Highway 17 half a mile to Smoking Pig BBQ next to the BP Station on N side of Highway 17. The ribs and chicken are excellent. This is probably your best stop for BBQ in GA.

Smokin Pig BBQ @ 3986 U.S. 17, Richmond Hill, GA. 912 - 756 - 7850.

Get off I 95 at Exit 102 at Pooler. GA and go W on Highway 80 4/5 blocks to Don's Famous BBQ.

Don's Famous BBQ @ 217 US Highway 80 E., Pooler, GA 912 - 748 - 8400.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: this weekend!

The Travelodge turned out being ok. We got it pretty cheap at $54 a night so can't complain. We had fun in Savannah. It wasn't quite the way i pictured it but still had a good time. We ate at River House Restaurant on River Street and it was very good. We also drove to Tybee Island on Saturday. We are soooo glad we decided against staying there. I guess they were having "Orange Crush" and there was way too many people there for us. As much as i searched the calendar of events, I saw nothing about Orange Crush. I was trying to figure out what was going on as to why everything was booked. We didn't stay long....had a drink at Fannie's...Back River Punch...yum!!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: this weekend!

You will never find anything on the calendars about Orange Crush. It started about 25 years ago and was sponsored by Orange Crush soda. It was only officialy endorsed an organized for about 4-5 years, but after all the crime and one murder that took place at the festival, Orange Crush cancelled all future endorsements and sponsorships.

Even though a bunch of college students still show up each year for what they continue to call "Orange Crush", it is all word-of-mouth. There are no scheduled events involved.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: this weekend!

There sure was a bunch that showed up. I think they should make that known on the websites or at least tell you about it when you call because it would have been a BIG deal to me if i had actually booked a room that weekend and had to wade through that mess everyday. I asked several hotels and even though they obviously knew what was going on, said they didn't have any idea.

10. Re: this weekend!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 11:16