We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

JJGeorgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

I've been searching like a mad woman for a hotel with a private balcony but seem to be finding "shared balconies". Cost doesn't matter and I like "off the beaten path" hotels, not the big chains. I'd like to be in the center of it all, preferably on the water. Any suggestions?

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

To begin, "off the beaten path" "in the center of it all" and "near the water" would be impossible. Even if you forget about the River, the other two don't work together at all.

What do you want to be able to see from your balcony?

JJGeorgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

If I can't have all that, I'll try to narrow it down. Most important is a room with a private balcony (view doesn't matter, but waterview preferably). Second most important would be to be in the center of it all where we wouldn't have to drive to get anywhere. Should I narrow it down a little more?

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

The entire historic district is easily walkable from anywhere within the district. It's only about 1 mile by 1 1/2 miles. So, anywhere in the area would suit. The Forts and Bonaventure would be about the only thing that you would need a car for.

Finding that private balcony (or any balcony) is going to be the problem. There just aren't many places that have them. Think instead about taking your drinks and finding a nice bench in a quiet, nearby park. A lot will depend on when you are coming. This time of year, with the hordes of sand gnats, would make sitting on a balcony a miserable time. Later, it would be just toooooo HOT and humid.

A few of the B&Bs have big front porches with rocking chairs. That might be a good substitute.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

Last year when we were in Savannah, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Bay Street. We were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room and found that (in addition to a separate sitting area) we had a private balcony. We had a lovely view of the river and the Talmadge Bridge that would've been even nicer if the weather had cooperated and it hadn't been foggy.

The balcony was small, but it was private and had a little table where I enjoyed the morning paper, coffee, and a slice of cheesecake. Perfect for us. I don't think all of the rooms at the hotel have this feature, so if you call be sure to ask for a balcony room.

We enjoyed everything else about the hotel. The location was perfect for us. We walked everywhere from our room. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, and convenient. The parking fee was steep, but that's normal when you bring a car and stay in a city.

On a side note, we spent the next three nights at a hotel in Charleston that had a shared balcony. Every time we were in our room, there was no one on the balcony. If a private balcony is an absolute must for you, I understand. But if you find a hotel that you think will be perfect in Savannah but have to share a balcony, keep in mind you could luck out and have it to yourselves anyway.

JJGeorgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

This is great - you've helped me so much. Thank you!

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

You're welcome! Good luck, I hope they're able to give you the room you want!

JJGeorgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

WHOA! - i've just stumbled upon some possible balcony rooms - Planters Inn and River Street Inn. Could it be true?!?!?

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

The River Street Inn will have you overlooking River Street with all it's tourists. Good view of the river. It's a small inn and not what most people would consider a hotel. Balconies are small.

Planter's Inn is a larger, hotel over looking a busy street on one side, a parking garage on another, and a lovely park on a third. It would be a good choice too if you can get a room with a balcony. It is also more centrally located.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

I got interested in the River Street Inn. I see that according to it's web-stie, it has 86 rooms. That many, many more than I thought it had! It has grown over the years. It's on the River Street Bluff with only 2 stories on the front side and a drop for two or three more on the River side.

If you are planning to be here for a while, I think I would try for the River Street Inn. I don't think I would ever tire of watching the big cargo ships go up the river. You are sooooooo close to them!!

JJGeorgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Searching, searching for PRIVATE balcony room...

You are so great at this! Thank you for all your research and helping out.