We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River House restaurant

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinios
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
River House restaurant

Has anyone heard abouth this restaurant? I'm looking for a nice dinning experience while in Savannah.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River House restaurant

It has been my experience that most of the restaurants on the river are over priced and touristy. That is not true in all cases though. I would suggest you go by this place earlier inn the day and see what you think compared to some of the others that get regular mention on this board.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River House restaurant

Food here is mediocre to OK, nothing over the top, and the entree portions are huge and can easily be shared by 2. It's on west River Street.The Harris family owns it along with The Boar's Head, The Shrimp Factory, The Pirates House and the River House bakery. If you don't want to do the usual tourist route, go where the locals go: IL Pasticcio, Gottlieb's, Johnny Harris on Victory Drive, to name a few. I had an outstanding supper a few weeks ago at The Bistro on West Congress (City Market).

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River House restaurant

I have been there a number of times. Went last two weeks ago and ventured from the seafood to the chicken marsala - it was the BEST I have ever had in my life! If you are coming soon, they run daily coupons in the paper for "buy one entree, get one free". If you wait a couple of weeks, chances are no more coupons as tourism is picking up. I love the place. Never had a bad experience. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure Vic Powers owned it.

Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River House restaurant

I haven't had a bad meal at the River House restaurant. It is probably about middle of the road as far as decor and quality. I think it is a much better deal at lunch time than dinner. And, like a prior post - the two for one coupons make it very attractive. It is convenient for lunch if you are on River Street. One BIG plus are the desserts and bread, both made on the premises and both VERY good!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River House restaurant

Frankie Harris used to own it, but he died, sadly, very young, several years ago. I'd think it would stay in the family though. His sister Cheryl owns the Shrimp Factory I know, but are you sure they also own Pirates House? I didn't think that was theirs. Cheryl's husband, Vic Powers owns Kevin Barry's by the way. Keepin' River St in the family! LOL

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: River House restaurant

I believe Cheryl Harris Ivie Powers and the Harris family are still owners (or at least managing)of the Pirates House since the tragic death of her son last year. He was running the PHse. when he died. The Harris family's been in the local area restaurant biz for decades.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: River House restaurant

OMG...I had not heard that! What happened?? I just read his obit and you are right, he was listed as owner of Pirates House and 45 South. I'd thought 45 South was owned by Sandy What'sHisFace. I wonder if he sold it to the Harris family? Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear about Cheryl's son. :( Gads...that makes two deaths way too young in that family in the past 6 or so years!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: River House restaurant

There was a story in the paper, you may find it if you do a search. Story is he was on the roof of Kevin Barry's, well oiled, climbing the flag pole. It broke and he landed on River Street, dead instantly. I think it sounds a little strange but who knows.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: River House restaurant

Thanks Brian. What a tragic waste!