We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non touristy restaurant in downtown Savanah

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
801 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Non touristy restaurant in downtown Savanah

I am looking for a place that serves typical southern fare. I would rather it be no more than $100 for two people. I am staying downtown. Also if anyone can recommend a good place for happy hour I would appreciated it. I like a good selection of beer, and my fiance likes wine. Thanks in advance.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non touristy restaurant in downtown Savanah

The entire downtown area is "touristy". There is no way to escape it, especially with the cuisine choice you are asking for.

Typical southern fare will be vegetables cooked with fat back, chicken, pork and casseroles. The most expensive it will get is around $20 per person, well less than your price point.

It sounds to me like you would like a restaurant that is sophisticated, quiet, etc. To get that, you will have to forgo southern cooking. I would suggest Noble Fare - its in the Historic District downtown, but on a quiet street off the beaten path.

For cocktails, I would suggest Casimir's Lounge in the Bohemian Hotel.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non touristy restaurant in downtown Savanah

Many places downtown have southern twists on standard food. Look into Cha Bella or the Pink House or Vic's on the river. Lots of nice beers at Moon River, a micro brewery on Bay st.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non touristy restaurant in downtown Savanah

Best place to experience Southern cooking is Mrs. Wilkes' at 107 West Jones St...LUNCH only, M-F, 11am-2pm. CASH ONLY.

All of downtown has a tourist element but you will see a mix of locals, highbornand working class, having lunch at Mrs. Wilkes. We know where the good food lives. Likewise, you will never see a local standing in line waiting to get inside Lady and Sons.

4. Re: Non touristy restaurant in downtown Savanah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 14:16