We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

We would like to leave Atlanta on Friday Oct 28th in mid pm to travel to Savannah to sight see. It has been a great desire for us 3 gals from Canada to visit the "South of USA". We are hoping to rent a car (the traffic from Atlanta scares us to......) and we have to return to Atlanta airport to leave for home in Saskatchewan. So we need help in best place to park our car and hang our hats and walk if possible to most places for sightseeing in Savannah. We would like a safe place to stay with car rental and advise on safety for walking in these areas. I had knee replacement and am able to walk but have to be careful. Suggestions what to see in short time and places to eat would be appreciated, too.

We would like to stay somewhere close to Savannah on

Oct 28th if traffic is horrendous on Friday weekend. Or should we leave on Saturday am. early to go to Savannah from Atlanta.

Annother place we might like to see is Stone Mtn Park, if time and if feasible. If the time and traffic will not warrant seeing both places please advise.

Any assistance on our planning would be so appreciated!!!!

Sorry if incoherent, but we have so many questions and little time to plan. Thanks to all who will be patient to read all our questions and help us gals.

Edited: 22 September 2011, 21:59
Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

Could you give us a few more details such as how long you'll be staying, what your budget is like, what you like to do, etc.

Stone Mountain is in metro Atlanta so you'd want to see that before you left or go back early. Personally I'd far rather be in Savannah than visit Stone Mountain if time is limited.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

We can stay from Oct 29 Saturday & Sunday and would have to make our way back to Atlanta Int'l airport on Monday. We have an early flight out to get home. We would not be able to do the Stone Mtn park. As far as budget goes we would not do high end but moderate as we are trying to watch our dollars and stretch it out the best we can with coupons, etc. (We are from the prairies so practical and economical )

This is why all the questions as we need the TA advise and if Savannah in your opinion is a better choice we are all ears!!!!! Like I said in questions??/ limited time, and we like to walk and enjoy the outdoors, enjoy eating out (reasonable and good southern food), scener. a little shopping with reasonable prices as we cant shop much with luggage weights, etc.

Thanks.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

Savannah is what you want, it's the best city in the south in my opinion. Try to stay in the historic district it you can, you'll be able to walk everywhere. That is one of the peak tourist season times and the reason for that is the weather is terrific. There are very many tours available and you may want to do one of those, check with the visitors center on Martin Luther King Bvld, for the many types of tours to see if one sounds good to you.

Mrs Wilkes is the best southern food in the HD, there will be a wait that time of year but it's not too long if you get there early and the area is very nice. They serve Monday through Friday starting at 11:00, it's lunch only and cash only served family style. I would not recommend Paula Dean's place.

One of the best things to do in Savannah is just walking around and checking out anything that catches your eye.

You'll be taking I-75 south from Atlanta to I-16 east. I-16 will end in the historic district in Savannah.

Edited: 23 September 2011, 16:00
sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

thanks RanSat, I so appreciate you taking time to help us poor damsels. Can you suggest a hotel, etc being it will be a busy time of year that will not cost us an arm and leg. The restaurants you suggested would you be so kind for addresses. thanks RanSat.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g60814-d436…

This link will give you full info and reviews for Mrs Wilkes.

For the hotel I'd suggest you do a google search and use one of the many pricing/reservation services for hotels. Just be sure that you're getting the historic district. The historic disctrict is borderd by the following streets: Martin Luther King (west), Bay (north), Broad (east), and Gaston (south). All results for a hotel will map their location for you. You may also want to try Priceline and see it you can get a good price that way, usually though you won't get too great a discount that time of year.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

Here's some nice hotels.

Comfort Suites @ 630 W. Bay Street, Savannah, GA 912 - 629 - 2001.

comfortsuites.com/hotel-savannah-georgia-GA3…

Courtyard Marriott @ 415 West Liberty Street, Savannah, GA 912 - 790 - 8287.

marriott.com/hotels/…

East Bay Inn @ 225 East Bay Street, Savannah, GA 912 - 238 - 1225.

http://www.eastbayinn.com/rooms.shtml

Hampton Inn and Suites @ 201 East Bay Street, Savannah, GA 912 - 231 - 9700.

http://www.hotelsavannah.com/

Hilton Garden Inn @ 321 West Bay Street, Savannah, GA 912 - 721 - 5000.

…hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml…

Holiday Inn Express @ 199 East Bay Street, Savannah, GA 912 - 231 - 9000.

http://www.staysmartsavannah.com/

And these links will help too.

savannahgetaways.net/Rental_Listings/…POI

http://www.savannahgetaways.net/

http://savannahmenu.com/index.php

Edited: 24 September 2011, 02:24
sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

Thanks Axle you really helped us allot. Very appreciative! for all the info.

Again thank you to all who replied to my help question.

8. Re: We have a day or two Oct 29 to Oct 31...Help in planning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 18:17